The New Pali Course Part III [41/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 26, 2010
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter III Passive Forms

      Glossary Group 14

      1. At that sacrifice, O Brahman, neither were any oxen slain; neither rams nor goats were put to death. No trees were cut down to be used as sacrificial posts, no Kusa-grass was mown to strew around the posts.

      Barihisa is another name for Kusa-grass.

      2. Catubba.n.naa, people of the four castes or colours. The four castes are: Khattiyaa (=warriors), Braahma.naa (=brahmans or the priest class), Vessaa (=tradesmen and husbandmen), and Suddaa (=the servants of the above three classes).

      3. Paramparaagata.m, handed down by tradition.

      4. The world is led by thought; by thought it is dragged about.

      5. "Where divers goats and sheep and kine are slain,
      Never to such a rite as that repair
      The noble seers who walk the perfect way." [K.S.i,103]

      6. Whatever thing is brought out and secured from a house which is on fire, it becomes useful to the owner; but not so the things that are burnt in it.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Dear Yong Peng,
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.