du.t.thull.m

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002
      Dear Friends,
      At our sutta study group last night, we were going
      through MN 128 (Upakkilesa - Imperfections) - in
      English, and when we got to the part where the Buddha
      was describing to Anuruddha all the ways in which he
      noticed imperfections preventing his concentration,
      there was one which ~Nanamoli/Bodhi translate as
      "inertia". Trying to fathom what this was all about,
      I looked up the Pali word being translated, and it was
      "du.t.thulla.m". (See PTS M.iii.159). The PED
      translated this as "wickedness", and in adjectival
      form as "wicked, lewd". Does anyone have an idea
      where "inertia" might come from? And what is the
      sense of this as an imperfection?

      Thanks,
      John

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com