Re: +AFs-Pali+AF0- The New Pali Course Part III +AFs-40/120+AF0-

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2010
      Dear all,

      Regarding this:

      16. +ACI-Atha te... manussasaddo viya suyyati, jaanissaama nan ti
      saddaanusaarena gantvaa ta.m purisa.m disvaa 'yakkho bhavissatii'ti
      bhiitaa sare sannayhi.msu.+ACI- +AFs-J.iv,160+AF0-

      YP: +ACI-Thereupon, they... 'like human voices is heard, we shall know
      it', went by following the voice, saw that man and, (being)
      frightened, arranged the (bows and) arrows, '(he) will become a
      monster'.+ACI-

      N: I would like to just add: thinking, '(he) will become a yakkha'.

      +ACo- +ACo- +ACo- +ACo-

      I think the use of +ACI-bhavissati+ACI- here is actually an instance of the
      well-known idiomatic use of the future as an expression of uncertainty,
      confusion or amazement relating to the present +AH4- +ACI-he might be / he could
      be+ACI-. It is not that the man will become a yakkha, but that they think he
      might be one already +ACE- A similar occurence is found in the Dona-sutta where
      a brahmin is puzzled as to the Buddha's identity.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2010
        Dear Stephen,
        Yes, you gave a very good explanation,
        thank you,
        Nina.
        Op 14-dec-2010, om 17:16 heeft Stephen Hodge het volgende geschreven: