Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [40/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 14, 2010
      Dear Yong Peng,
      Op 7-dec-2010, om 15:22 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      > Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera
      >
      > Chapter III Passive Forms
      -----------
      12. "Ath'assa majjhimayaame atikkante apubba.m acarima.m akkhiini
      c'eva kilesaa ca pabhijji.msu." [Ibid.]

      YP: "Then, when the second watch of this (night) was over, the eyes
      and surely the passions were destroyed."

      --------

      N: apubba.m acarima.m: in PED under pubba 2: not earlier, not after,
      simultaneously. simulataneously the eyes and the passions....

      ----------

      13. "Na vijjatii so jagatippadeso
      Yattha-.t-.thito mucceyya paapakammaa." [Dhp.v.127]

      YP: "That spot in the world is not known
      situated where evil deed would be released."

      YP: vijjati (passive of vindati) is found, is known, exists.
      YP: muccati (passive of mu~ncati) is released.

      ---------

      N: a suggestion, Ven. Narada transl: (Not in the sky, nor in mid-
      ocean, nor on entering a mountain cave,) is found that place on
      earth, where abiding one may escape from (the consequences of ) an
      evil deed.

      -----------

      14. "Tam ena.m jano disvaa eva.m vadeyya: Ambho, kim ev'ida.m
      hariiyati ja~n~na-ja~n~na.m viyaa ti?" [M.i,30]

      YP: "That one person would see and say thus: 'Hello, just what (is)
      this (being) carried like an agreeable thing?'"

      YP: ev'ida.m = eva ida.m: just this.
      YP: hariiyati (passive of harati) is carried.

      --------------

      N: Comparing to PTS, I think ta.m ena.m is not an attribute of jano,
      but refers to what precedes, a bowl containing a carcas. : <People on
      seeing it, would say: �Just look, what is this that has been brought
      back like a very lovely thing?�>

      ---------

      16. "Atha te... manussasaddo viya suyyati, jaanissaama nan ti
      saddaanusaarena gantvaa ta.m purisa.m disvaa 'yakkho bhavissatii'ti
      bhiitaa sare sannayhi.msu." [J.iv,160]

      YP: "Thereupon, they... 'like human voices is heard, we shall know
      it', went by following the voice, saw that man and, (being)
      frightened, arranged the (bows and) arrows, '(he) will become a
      monster'."

      N: I would like to just add: thinking, '(he) will become a yakkha'.

      ----------

      Nina

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Dear Yong Peng,
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.