Re: The New Pali Course Part III [40/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 8, 2010

      thanks for your answer to 18. The following is my answer, based on the answer key.

      "Anekasaakha~n ca sahassa-ma.n.dala.m
      "Multiple-rib and thousand-ring

      Chatta.m maruu dhaarayum antalikkhe;
      A parasol the gods held in the air;

      YP: dhaarati/dhaareti (v) holds.

      Suva.n.na-da.n.daa viitipatanti caamaraa
      Golden-handles chowries fly up and down

      YP: chowrie: a large fan made of feathers?

      Na dissare caamara-chatta-gaahakaa."
      The chowrie-(and-)umbrella-bearers have not been seen."

      YP: dissati (passive of dassati) is seen. dissare [Parokkhaa Attanopada 3rd Person Plural]

      Please refer to NPC2 §70 for Parokkhaa (Past Indefinite):

      And, similar here, in this book NPC3:

      I would like confirmation that I have been correct in the treatment of -re, which we have come across several times in the present exercise. Thank you.

      > 18. "Anekasaakha~n ca sahassa-ma.n.dala.m
      > Chatta.m maruu dhaarayum antalikkhe;
      > Suva.n.na-da.n.daa viitipatanti caamaraa
      > Na dissare caamara-chatta-gaahakaa." [SN.v.688]

      N: <And the gods held in the sky an umbrella with many ribs and a thousand circles. Yaktail fans with golden handles fluttered up and down. The holders of the umbrella and the fans were invisible.>

      Na dissare: from dissati, passive of dassati. This example is even in PED under dassati. But the form: dissare: must be an adjective? with a sandhi? I would expect: di.t.thaa. The ending -e is strange.
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.