Re: The New Pali Course Part III [39/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 8, 2010

      thank you for your comments to 4 and 6, and the answer to 9. ;-) I leave one question open to the floor, and really appreciate your time to provide the answer. However, the intention is to generate some meaning discussion and interaction among members.

      For now, I will just make corrections to 8.

      diiyati (passive of dadaati): is given.
      diiyittha is the Parokkhaa Attanopada of diiyati, in the same grammatical person and number: has been given (I take this English form from NPC2 which I will explain in the next email).

      Also, I will correct 'deva' from 'deity' to 'the majesty'.

      "Tassa mayha.m, bhante, catusu dvaaresu daana.m diiyittha...
      "Sir, my gift has been given to him at the four doors...

      'Devassa kho daana.m diiyati, amhaaka.m daana.m na diiyatii'ti."
      'Indeed, the majesty's gift is given, our gift is not given.'"

      > 8. "Tassa mayha.m, bhante, catusu dvaaresu daana.m diiyittha...
      > Atha kho ma.m itthaagaara.m upasankamitvaa etad avoca: 'Devassa
      > kho daana.m diiyati, amhaaka.m daana.m na diiyatii'ti." [S.i,58]
      >
      > YP: "To me, sir, (he) has given his alms at the four doors... And
      > then approached the boudoir and said this to me: 'Alms is given to
      > the deity indeed, alms is not given to us.'"

      N: PTS transl: His majesty has made an offering, but we (the ladies) have made none.

      devassa daana'm: the gift of the majesty has been given, our gift has not been given.

      > YP: diiyittha [Parokkhaa Attanopada 3rd Person Singular] see PED
      > dadaati.

      N: I have some trouble with the term Parokkhaa Attanopada. Parokkha is a perfect.
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.