The New Pali Course Part III [40/120]
- The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera
Chapter III Passive Forms
10. "Yathaa kho, maarisaa, nimittaa dissanti, aaloko sa~njaayati, obhaaso paatubhavati, Brahmaa paatubhavissati." [D.ii,209]
YP: "Just so, sirs, the signs are indeed observed, the light is produced, the radiance manifests, Brahma will appear."
YP: dissati (passive of dassati) is seen.
11. "Cakkhuuni te nassantu vaa bhijjantu vaa, Buddhasaasanam eva dhaarehi, maa cakkhuuni." [DhA.i,11]
YP: "Let those eyes be gone or destroyed, may you know the Buddha's teachings by heart, not eyes."
12. "Ath'assa majjhimayaame atikkante apubba.m acarima.m akkhiini c'eva kilesaa ca pabhijji.msu." [Ibid.]
YP: "Then, when the second watch of this (night) was over, the eyes and surely the passions were destroyed."
13. "Na vijjatii so jagatippadeso
Yattha-.t-.thito mucceyya paapakammaa." [Dhp.v.127]
YP: "That spot in the world is not known
situated where evil deed would be released."
YP: vijjati (passive of vindati) is found, is known, exists.
YP: muccati (passive of mu~ncati) is released.
14. "Tam ena.m jano disvaa eva.m vadeyya: Ambho, kim ev'ida.m hariiyati ja~n~na-ja~n~na.m viyaa ti?" [M.i,30]
YP: "That one person would see and say thus: 'Hello, just what (is) this (being) carried like an agreeable thing?'"
YP: ev'ida.m = eva ida.m: just this.
YP: hariiyati (passive of harati) is carried.
15. "Na-y-ida.m, bhikkhave, brahmacariya.m vussati janakuhanattha.m." [A.ii,26]
YP: "O monks, this holy life is not lived in order to deceive people."
YP: janakuhanattha.m = jana-kuhanaa-attha.m.
16. "Atha te... manussasaddo viya suyyati, jaanissaama nan ti saddaanusaarena gantvaa ta.m purisa.m disvaa 'yakkho bhavissatii'ti bhiitaa sare sannayhi.msu." [J.iv,160]
YP: "Thereupon, they... 'like human voices is heard, we shall know it', went by following the voice, saw that man and, (being) frightened, arranged the (bows and) arrows, '(he) will become a monster'."
YP: saddaanusaarena = sadda-anusaarena.
17. "Di.t.thibandhana-baddhaa te
Na te dukkhaa pamuccare." [Vism.603]
YP: "Trapped by the bonds of views, they (are)
By the stream of lust, (they) have been carried away;
By the stream of lust, (they) are being carried away
They have not been freed from suffering."
YP: vuyhati (passive of vahati) is carried away. vuyhare [Parokkhaa Attanopada 3rd Person Plural]
YP: pamuccati (passive of pamu~ncati) is freed. pamuccare [Parokkhaa Attanopada 3rd Person Plural]
18. "Anekasaakha~n ca sahassa-ma.n.dala.m
Chatta.m maruu dhaarayum antalikkhe;
Suva.n.na-da.n.daa viitipatanti caamaraa
Na dissare caamara-chatta-gaahakaa." [SN.v.688]
* Feel free to post your answer to the group. *
* Key to exercise will be provided in subsequent posts. *
(to be continued...)
- Dear Yong Peng,
Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
> As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its-----
> glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
> organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
> the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
> also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
> the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
> and other members.
N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
trouble to keep things going.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]