Re: Pali Pronunciation {Re: [Pali] audio tipitaka?}

  • Peter Hauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
      Dear All,

      I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya* (they are
      sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims, www.istuti.org) and
      may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio version of
      (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
      high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know who else
      may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon should be
      given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?

      Best regards,

      Peter E. Hauer
      Vienna, Austria

      *) http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
        Lennart Lopin wrote thus at 21:02 11/10/2010:
        >I think the widely available paritta chantings are a bit misleading as they
        >almost tend to be "artistic"...

        I know. Somewhat singsong, huh? Over here, we chant with a tune too, but we try to keep to the "standard" pronunciation.

        >? Never heard a Sri Lankan say "mango for maggo" :-)

        Monks out of their home country may become more "international" in their pronunciation. The Srilankans in Malaysia still call the Buddha's disciple who's most capable of iddhis as Monggallana, and this has been passed on to the lay people.

        On the note of monks going "international", the Burmese monks out of Myanmar would often read the ordination kammavaca the Burmese way, then the "international way", when the candidate is not from Myanmar. The 2 sound very different.

        >But rather than chanting, just reading the texts gives an even clearer
        >pronunciation, IMHO. So Frank's initial idea is not bad. Would be great to
        >find someone who would like to do that.

        If it's just a veeeeery short one, I wouldn't mind doing it. I'm absolutely not keen in trying to have the entire Tipitaka in audio.

        peace

        Kumâra Bhikkhu

        Sâsanârakkha Buddhist Sanctuary, Taiping, Malaysia
        www.sasanarakkha.org

      • frank
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
          Hi Peter,
          I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also
          contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in
          that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order
          of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,
          the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher
          knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would
          include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,
          37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words
          have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

          -Frank

          On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*
          > (they are
          > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,
          > www.istuti.org) and
          > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio
          > version of
          > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
          > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know
          > who else
          > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon
          > should be
          > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Peter E. Hauer
          > Vienna, Austria
          >
          > *)
          > http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Madhurya Liyanage
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
            Dear All,

            In the following sites you can listen to Paritta chantings and Dhamma pada chantings by Most Venerable Nauyane Ariyadhamma Thero  from Sri Lanka. (They have the Sri Lankan pronounciation)

            http://pirithdesana.wordpress.com/

            http://dammapadaya.wordpress.com/

            With Metta

            I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also
            contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in
            that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order
            of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,
            the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher
            knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would
            include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,
            37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words
            have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

            -Frank

            On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*
            > (they are
            > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,
            > www.istuti.org) and
            > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio
            > version of
            > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
            > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know
            > who else
            > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon
            > should be
            > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Peter E. Hauer
            > Vienna, Austria
            >
            > *)
            > http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Dhammadarsa
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
              Sadhu.

              Please consider contacting Ven Pannyavaro of Buddhanet.net to add the recordings to his database.

              Kind Regards

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect = Intelligence

              Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
              Buddhist Monk

              Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
              Wang Noi
              Ayuthaya
              Thailand

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

              mobile:

              +66850941669

              <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

              <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want a signature like this?

              chanting<http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc <http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57> &view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57>

              .

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                Hi Frank,

                Thanks for your offer. I'll check the agenda and will keep you posted. It may be
                that we get support by a local (Austrian) sponsor which can aggregate the
                critical mass to initiate this project and keep the thing rolling. My personal
                preference was recording Dhammapada first in order to generate a Kindle audio
                book (alongside with translations into several Western languages) which may
                generate additional funds for the "academic" part of this project.

              • fcckuan@gmail.com

                  From: frank <fcckuan@...>

                  To: Pali@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 2:05 PM

                  Hi Peter,

                  I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also

                  contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in

                  that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order

                  of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,

                  the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher

                  knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would

                  include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,

                  37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words

                  have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

                  -Frank

                  On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

                  > Dear All,

                  > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*

                  > (they are

                  > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,

                  > www.istuti.org) and

                  > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio

                  > version of

                  > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a

                  > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know

                  > who else

                  > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon

                  > should be

                  > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?

                  > Best regards,

                  > Peter E. Hauer

                  > Vienna, Austria

                  > *)