Re: [Pali] bhava'nga - etymology -questions

  • Brett Morris
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 11, 2010
      Yes, thanks. I have this article it is very informative.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 11, 2010
        Thanks Nina this is much appreciated. A couple of follow up questions:

        N: ...This citta is pure, but it does not mean that there
        are no
        latent tendencies of defilements, anusayas, which lie dormant in the
        citta.
        It is called pure or luminous, because at that moment no defilements
        arise.
        >B: According to the Abhidhamma can there be a latent tendency lying dormant? In
        >a wholesome mind how can there be a latent tendency to hate according to the
        >Abhidhamma? Also along the same lines is the bhava'nga citta of a hell being
        >pure and luminous? It seems that the mind that took this being to hell, i.e. the
        >last active mind of the previous life would be filled with torment? This is
        >getting at one of my questions, in the Suttas (and our experience) it seems that
        >there certainly are latent defilements, but I am not clear how the Abhidhamma
        >accounts for these.

        N: Here we come to the issue of the ancient commentaries which have
        also been rehearsed at the Great Councils. This is an issue apart.
        Before, in this list, this has been debated, and I prefer rather to
        speak about the contents of the texts and their relation to daily
        life now, instead of going into historical issues.
        I am disinclined to use the expression bhavanga theory, since it is
        not theoretical. The Abhidhamma deals with realities of daily life.
        There is bhavangacitta now, while there are no sense impressions and
        no thinking. Still, our life goes on, there cannot be moments without
        citta. The citta that keeps the continuity in the long series of
        cittas we call life is named bhavangacitta.

        >B: I very much appreciate this response. As far as the reality of bhavangacitta
        >yes it is very clear and as you say some such mechanism must exist to keep life
        >'going on'. I am curious as to the historical 'timeline' just to get a picture
        >of what is mentioned where. For example, as you cited, in the Pali Suttas there
        >is reference to this luminous mind. Later, this was equated with the bhavanga.
        >But bhavanga seems to be used more to explain how the mind continues from moment
        >too moment with some continuity and in states like deep dreamless sleep. In
        >addition the Abhidhamma (I think) says that only one mind can arise at any given
        >moment and so (as my questions above) how do the latent defilement continue in a
        >wholesome bhavanga. So I am not doubting bhavanga per se, nor even the
        >commentaries, but just trying to piece together how latent defilements are
        >accounted for and what the ancient commentators were concerned with accounting
        >for. For me this notion of a latent defilement is very much a reality of daily
        >life, as it is clear that until that potential is eradicated I am in some
        >bondage yet I would like to know how these ancients dealt with it.

        much metta,
        Brett

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 11, 2010

          Thanks very much for your excellent description of the bhava"nga citta.

          Dear Brett,

          Steven Collins has a whole chapter in his book "Selfless Persons" (p. 225-261)
          on the bhavan"ga citta which you will find very helpful,

          Metta,

          Bryan

          ________________________________

          --------

          ---------

          -------

          ----------
          ----
          N: Here we come to the issue of the ancient commentaries which have
          also been rehearsed at the Great Councils. This is an issue apart.
          Before, in this list, this has been debated, and I prefer rather to
          speak about the contents of the texts and their relation to daily
          life now, instead of going into historical issues.
          I am disinclined to use the expression bhavanga theory, since it is
          not theoretical. The Abhidhamma deals with realities of daily life.
          There is bhavangacitta now, while there are no sense impressions and
          no thinking. Still, our life goes on, there cannot be moments without
          citta. The citta that keeps the continuity in the long series of
          cittas we call life is named bhavangacitta.
          ---------

          ------------------------------------

        • Brett Morris
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 11, 2010
            Thanks Bryan, I will look at this.

            with metta,
            Brett

            ________________________________

            -------

> [...]

            > really started
            > developing in the way the Theravaada tradition understands it now?
            ----
            N: Here we come to the issue of the ancient commentaries which have
            also been rehearsed at the Great Councils. This is an issue apart.
            Before, in this list, this has been debated, and I prefer rather to
            speak about the contents of the texts and their relation to daily
            life now, instead of going into historical issues.
            I am disinclined to use the expression bhavanga theory, since it is
            not theoretical. The Abhidhamma deals with realities of daily life.
            There is bhavangacitta now, while there are no sense impressions and
            no thinking. Still, our life goes on, there cannot be moments without
            citta. The citta that keeps the continuity in the long series of
            cittas we call life is named bhavangacitta.

          • Kumara Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 12, 2010
              Bryan Levman wrote thus at 04:31 12/10/2010:
              >Steven Collins has a whole chapter in his book "Selfless Persons" (p. 225-261)
              >on the bhavan"ga citta which you will find very helpful,

              A much later book, "Selfless Mind" by Peter Harvey, also has a chapter on this.

              kb
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 12, 2010
                Dear Brett,
                your questions are appreciated.
                Op 11-okt-2010, om 17:12 heeft Brett Morris het volgende geschreven:

                > >B: According to the Abhidhamma can there be a latent tendency
                > lying dormant? In
                > >a wholesome mind how can there be a latent tendency to hate
                > according to the
                > >Abhidhamma?
                --------
                N:Yes, all seven latent tendencies are lying dormant in each citta so
                long as they have not been eradicated by the lokuttara magga-citta.
                I quote from my recent Abhidhamma Series (no 23):

                <Since each citta that arises and falls away is immediately succeeded
                by the next citta, unwholesome and wholesome behaviour and
                inclinations are accumulated from moment to moment and from life to
                life.
                The latent tendencies which are unwholesome inclinations that are
                accumulated are the following: sense-desire (kaama-raaga), aversion
                (pa.tigha), conceit (maana), wrong view (di.t.thi), doubt
                (vicikicchaa), desire for becoming (continued existence, bhavaraaga),
                and ignorance (avijjaa).
                It is essential to have more understanding of the latent tendencies
                and their power. They are called subtle defilements because they do
                not arise with the akusala citta, but they are powerful. Since they
                have not been eradicated they can strongly condition and influence
                our behaviour. They lie dormant in the citta like microbes infesting
                the body. So long as they have not been eradicated we are like sick
                people, because they can condition the arising of akusala citta when
                there are the appropriate conditions..>
                Thus, it is explained in the Yamaka commentary (anusaya Yamaka) that
                the anusayas, the latent tendencies, do not arise but that they can
                condition the arising of akusala citta when there is an opportunity.
                Thus even when the citta is kusala, there are the latent tendencies
                lying dormant in that citta like microbes.
                --------
                > B:Also along the same lines is the bhava'nga citta of a hell being
                > pure and luminous? It seems that the mind that took this being to
                > hell, i.e. the last active mind of the previous life would be
                > filled with torment? This is getting at one of my questions, in the
                > Suttas (and our experience) it seems that there certainly are
                > latent defilements, but I am not clear how the Abhidhamma accounts
                > for these.
                ------
                N: This citta is akusala vipaakacitta, citta which is result. It is
                of the same type as the rebirth-consciousness. The anusayas lie
                dormant in each citta, also in the bhavangacitta of that being. That
                citta is not akusala, it is vipaakacitta, it does not motivate any
                akusala. It has no aversion. So long as we are in samsara, there are
                the latent tendencies carried on from one moment to the next moment,
                until arahatship has been reached.
                --------
                B:>But bhavanga seems to be used more to explain how the mind
                continues from moment>to moment with some continuity and in states
                like deep dreamless sleep. In
                > >addition the Abhidhamma (I think) says that only one mind can
                > arise at any given
                > >moment and so (as my questions above) how do the latent defilement
                > continue in a
                > >wholesome bhavanga.
                --------
                N: It is right that only one citta can arise at a time. There cannot
                be kusala citta at the same time as akusala citta. But the anusayas
                are lying dormant in each citta, they themselves do not arise.
                Bhavanga-citta is neither kusala citta nor akusala citta. It is
                merely result, it can be the result of kusala kamma, thus, kusala
                vipaaka, or of akusala kamma, thus, akusala vipaaka.
                We are born in the human plane, thus, the rebirth-consciousness was
                kusala vipaaka and all bhavangacittas (even arising now, in between
                the different processes of cittas that experience colour, sound,
                etc.) are kusala vipaakacittas. Still, so long as we are not ariyans,
                all seven anusayas are lying dormant in each and every citta. When in
                deep sleep there are no lobha, dosa and moha arising. When we wake up
                we cling at once to all objects. Where does this clinging come from?
                Not without there being conditions for it. It is conditioned by the
                latent tendency of sensuous clinging.
                -------
                > B:For me this notion of a latent defilement is very much a reality
                > of dailylife, as it is clear that until that potential is
                > eradicated I am in somebondage yet I would like to know how these
                > ancients dealt with it.
                ----------
                N: Yes, they are dangerous, it is so unpredictable what kind of
                akusala will arise at which moment. They are tenacious, powerful. How
                to deal with them: develop the eightfold Path leading to their
                eradication stage by stage. The latent tendencies of wrong view and
                doubt are eradicated first, at the first stage of enlightenment. Only
                the arahat has eradicated all latent tendencies.

              • Brett Morris
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2010
                  I am grateful for your time and answers. It all makes good sense. I may have
                  some follow up questions in this area after some time of researching and
                  processing:)

                  much metta,
                  Brett

                  ________________________________

                  --------

                  ------
                  --------
                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
                    Dear Brett,
                    Op 12-okt-2010, om 16:39 heeft Brett Morris het volgende geschreven:

                    > I am grateful for your time and answers. It all makes good sense. I
                    > may have
                    > some follow up questions in this area after some time of
                    > researching and
                    > processing:)
                    ------
                    N: You are welcome. Just now I am studying the Pali and Thai of the
                    Yamaka commentary on the anusaya. It is interesting that you just
                    asked, how the anusayas are also lying dormant in kusala citta and
                    vipaakacitta. The text says: also in avyaakatacitta and this includes
                    vipaakacitta and kiriyacitta. It is asked all the time kasmaa: why.
                    People at that time were also wondering, not only you and I at this
                    moment.
                    At the moment of akusala citta with sensuous desire, the latent
                    tendency of sensuous desire conditions its arising. Then the citta
                    falls away and the accumulation of the latent tendency of sense
                    desire continues. This cannot be said at the moment of kusala citta
                    and vipaakacitta. Then the anusayas do not condition the arising of
                    akusala at such moments. Still, they are lying dormant in these
                    cittas and this is so because they have not been eradicated yet. I
                    enjoy studying the Pali of all these texts.

                    Text: < The latent tendencies lie dormant because the defilements
                    have not been eradicated. A person endowed with kusala citta or
                    avyåkata citta is called a person with attachment, aversion and
                    ignorance, since these have not been eradicated by the maggacitta.
                    The latentent tendencies lie dormant in the case of that person, also
                    at the moment of pa.tisandhicitta , because they have not been
                    eradicated by the magga-citta. The Buddha did not merely say that the
                    latent tendencies lie dormant, but it should be understood that they
                    lie dormant because they cannot yet been eradicated. >

                    Pali: <anusayaa ca akusalacittakkha.ne uppajjanti,
                    na vipaakacittakkha.neti tasmi.m kha.ne anuppajjanato tathaa attho na
                    gahetabbo. katha.m pana gahetabboti? yathaa labbhati tathaa gahetabbo.
                    katha~nca labbhati? appahiina.t.thena. yathaa hi raagadosamohaana.m
                    appahiinattaa. kusalaabyaakatacittasama"ngii puggalo ``saraago sadoso
                    samoho''ti vuccati, eva.m maggabhaavanaaya appahiinattaa
                    pa.tisandhikkha.nepi
                    tassa tassa puggalassa te te anusayaa anusentiiti vuccanti. na
                    kevala~nca
                    vuccanti, appahiinattaa pana te anusentiyeva naamaati veditabbaa.>

                    *******

                  • Brett Morris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
                      Again this is all much appreciated. If you want to share any other such
                      reference you come across they are, of course, most welcome.
                      much metta,

                      Brett

                      ------