Re: Pali Pronunciation {Re: [Pali] audio tipitaka?}

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
      Dear Bhante,

      I think the widely available paritta chantings are a bit misleading as they
      almost tend to be "artistic"...

      I'm not sure about the monks you're referring to, but generally the
      > Sri-lankans pronounces Pali quite accurately (compared to Thais and Burmese
      > in general), except for a few oddities. Here are some of them that I can
      > think of now:
      >
      > * Double 'g's are pronounced as a nasal guttural sound. E.g., "maggo is
      > pronounced as "mang-go". (Thais and Burmese don't do this.)

      ? Never heard a Sri Lankan say "mango for maggo" :-)

      > * The short 'a' at the end of a word is sounded as a weak "er". E.g.,
      > "kamma" as "kammer". (Thais and Burmese don't do this.)

      yes, the Thai/Burmese pronounce it almost as ā ... (from an Indian
      standpoint).

      > * When it comes to chanting, many of them tend to drag to last syllable at
      > the end of the line or sentence. (The monks of the forest tradition seem to
      > avoid this though. Some Thais do this sometimes, esp. at the end of the
      > chanting.)

      yes, unfortunately, I think esp. the temple chanting was influenced by
      muslim (?) chanting (or some other influence), at least that what it sounds
      like (the dragging you mention)... a trend which seems to have crept into
      chanting in the last 50 years... A very interesting alternative is
      Dhammaruwan's
      style of chanting.<http://theravadin.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/chanting-in-the-6th-century/>
      Also
      forest monks tend to avoid any singing style, an example for which
      would be Bhante
      Silagavesi's chanting<http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57>
      .

      But rather than chanting, just reading the texts gives an even clearer
      pronunciation, IMHO. So Frank's initial idea is not bad. Would be great to
      find someone who would like to do that.

      much metta,

      Lennart

    • Peter Hauer
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2010
        Dear All,

        I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya* (they are
        sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims, www.istuti.org) and
        may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio version of
        (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
        high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know who else
        may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon should be
        given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?

        Best regards,

        Peter E. Hauer
        Vienna, Austria

        *) http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/

        ________________________________
        I think the widely available paritta chantings are a bit misleading as they
        almost tend to be "artistic"...

        I'm not sure about the monks you're referring to, but generally the
        > Sri-lankans pronounces Pali quite accurately (compared to Thais and Burmese
        > in general), except for a few oddities. Here are some of them that I can
        > think of now:
        >
        > * Double 'g's are pronounced as a nasal guttural sound. E.g., "maggo is
        > pronounced as "mang-go". (Thais and Burmese don't do this.)

        ? Never heard a Sri Lankan say "mango for maggo" :-)

        > * The short 'a' at the end of a word is sounded as a weak "er". E.g.,
        > "kamma" as "kammer". (Thais and Burmese don't do this.)

        yes, the Thai/Burmese pronounce it almost as ā ... (from an Indian
        standpoint).

        > * When it comes to chanting, many of them tend to drag to last syllable at
        > the end of the line or sentence. (The monks of the forest tradition seem to
        > avoid this though. Some Thais do this sometimes, esp. at the end of the
        > chanting.)

        yes, unfortunately, I think esp. the temple chanting was influenced by
        muslim (?) chanting (or some other influence), at least that what it sounds
        like (the dragging you mention)... a trend which seems to have crept into
        chanting in the last 50 years... A very interesting alternative is
        Dhammaruwan's
        style of
        chanting.<http://theravadin.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/chanting-in-the-6th-century/>

        Also
        forest monks tend to avoid any singing style, an example for which
        would be Bhante
        Silagavesi's
        chanting<http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57>

        .

        But rather than chanting, just reading the texts gives an even clearer
        pronunciation, IMHO. So Frank's initial idea is not bad. Would be great to
        find someone who would like to do that.

        much metta,

        Lennart

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
          Lennart Lopin wrote thus at 21:02 11/10/2010:
          >I think the widely available paritta chantings are a bit misleading as they
          >almost tend to be "artistic"...

          I know. Somewhat singsong, huh? Over here, we chant with a tune too, but we try to keep to the "standard" pronunciation.

          >? Never heard a Sri Lankan say "mango for maggo" :-)

          Monks out of their home country may become more "international" in their pronunciation. The Srilankans in Malaysia still call the Buddha's disciple who's most capable of iddhis as Monggallana, and this has been passed on to the lay people.

          On the note of monks going "international", the Burmese monks out of Myanmar would often read the ordination kammavaca the Burmese way, then the "international way", when the candidate is not from Myanmar. The 2 sound very different.

          >But rather than chanting, just reading the texts gives an even clearer
          >pronunciation, IMHO. So Frank's initial idea is not bad. Would be great to
          >find someone who would like to do that.

          If it's just a veeeeery short one, I wouldn't mind doing it. I'm absolutely not keen in trying to have the entire Tipitaka in audio.

          peace

          Kumâra Bhikkhu

          Sâsanârakkha Buddhist Sanctuary, Taiping, Malaysia
          www.sasanarakkha.org

        • frank
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
            Hi Peter,
            I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also
            contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in
            that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order
            of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,
            the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher
            knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would
            include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,
            37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words
            have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

            -Frank

            On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*
            > (they are
            > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,
            > www.istuti.org) and
            > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio
            > version of
            > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
            > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know
            > who else
            > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon
            > should be
            > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Peter E. Hauer
            > Vienna, Austria
            >
            > *)
            > http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Madhurya Liyanage
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
              Dear All,

              In the following sites you can listen to Paritta chantings and Dhamma pada chantings by Most Venerable Nauyane Ariyadhamma Thero  from Sri Lanka. (They have the Sri Lankan pronounciation)

              http://pirithdesana.wordpress.com/

              http://dammapadaya.wordpress.com/

              With Metta

              I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also
              contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in
              that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order
              of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,
              the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher
              knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would
              include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,
              37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words
              have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

              -Frank

              On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

              > Dear All,
              >
              > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*
              > (they are
              > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,
              > www.istuti.org) and
              > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio
              > version of
              > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a
              > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know
              > who else
              > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon
              > should be
              > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Peter E. Hauer
              > Vienna, Austria
              >
              > *)
              > http://www.hikkaduwanet.com/most_important_places/thotagamuwa_ancient_buddhist_temple/
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Dhammadarsa
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                Sadhu.

                Please consider contacting Ven Pannyavaro of Buddhanet.net to add the recordings to his database.

                Kind Regards

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect = Intelligence

                Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                Buddhist Monk

                Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                Wang Noi
                Ayuthaya
                Thailand

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                mobile:

                +66850941669

                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want a signature like this?

                chanting<http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc <http://nissarana.org/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57> &view=category&id=14:pali-pirith-chanting&Itemid=57>

                .

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                  Hi Frank,

                  Thanks for your offer. I'll check the agenda and will keep you posted. It may be
                  that we get support by a local (Austrian) sponsor which can aggregate the
                  critical mass to initiate this project and keep the thing rolling. My personal
                  preference was recording Dhammapada first in order to generate a Kindle audio
                  book (alongside with translations into several Western languages) which may
                  generate additional funds for the "academic" part of this project.

                • fcckuan@gmail.com

                    From: frank <fcckuan@...>

                    To: Pali@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 2:05 PM

                    Hi Peter,

                    I'm willing to chip in some money for the budget. I can also

                    contribute time to help digitize the recorded data if help is needed in

                    that area. We can put together a wish list of sutta excerpts in order

                    of priority. I personally would like to see the 16 steps of anapanasati,

                    the 4 jhanas, their similes, the 4 immaterial attainments, the 6 higher

                    knowledges and their similes from [DN 2], some excerpts that would

                    include at least brief mention of 4 noble truths, noble eightfold path,

                    37 aids to enlightenment, so at least all the important buddhist words

                    have a correct pali pronunciation covered.

                    -Frank

                    On 10/11/2010 7:27 AM, Peter Hauer wrote:

                    > Dear All,

                    > I have a contact with the monks from Thotagamuwa Rajamaha Viharaya*

                    > (they are

                    > sponsored by our charity organization for tsunami victims,

                    > www.istuti.org) and

                    > may ask them if they are ready to assist with creating an audio

                    > version of

                    > (parts of) the Pali Canon. I plan to go there in winter and can carry a

                    > high-quality audio recording device with me. It would be great to know

                    > who else

                    > may want to join in this project, and which sections of the Pali Canon

                    > should be

                    > given preference. Is there a possibility of funding, partially at least?

                    > Best regards,

                    > Peter E. Hauer

                    > Vienna, Austria

                    > *)