Re: The New Pali Course Part III [38/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 8, 2010

      thank you for your answer and notes. The original post is here:

      However, I do not think this is the complete list, it has 8 examples.

      > (g) Some roots have more than one passive base:
      >
      > * gamU: gamiiyati, gacchiiyati
      > * pacA: paciiyati, paccati

      --------
      N: I did not get this completely: more than one passive base.
      ---------

      > 1. "Tasmi.m kho pana, braahma.na, ya~n~ne, n'eva gaavo
      > ha~n~ni.msu, na aje.lakaa ha~n~ni.msu... na rukkhaa chijji.msu
      > yuupathaaya, na dabbaa luuyi.msu barihisatthaaya."

      --------
      N: This is from Diigha Nikaaya, I, 141.
      And further, at that sacrifice, O Brahman, neither were oxen slain, neither goats, ...
      No trees were cut down to be used as sacrifical posts, no dabba grasses were mown to be used as kusa grass (to be strewn around)..
      ------

      Attha: profit, meaning. Atthaaya: for the sake of, to be used as.
      (yuupathaaya should be: yuupatthaaya).
      barihisa: kusa grass.
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.