The New Pali Course Part III [38/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2010
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter III Passive Forms

      (2) 'ya' is added to the causative bases by means of 'ii':

      root base
      karA > kaaraape + ii + ya + ti = kaaraapiiyati (to cause to be done)
      pacA > paacaape + ii + ya + ti = paacaapiiyati (to cause to be cooked)
      hanA > ghaataape + ii + ya + ti = ghaataapiiyati (to cause to be killed)
      chidA > chindaape + ii + ya + ti = chindaapiiyati (to cause to be cut)
      ni + sadA > nisiidaape + ii + ya + ti = nisiidaapiiyati (to cause to be seated)

      (g) Some roots have more than one passive base:

      * gamU: gamiiyati, gacchiiyati
      * pacA: paciiyati, paccati
      * hanA: haniiyati, ha~n~nati
      * bandhA: bandhiiyati, bajjhati
      * gahA: ga.nhiiyati, gayhati
      * chidA: chindiiyati, chijjati
      * mucA: mu~nciiyati, muccati
      * khaadA: khaadiiyati, khajjati, etc.

      Examples. Group 14

      1. "Tasmi.m kho pana, braahma.na, ya~n~ne, n'eva gaavo ha~n~ni.msu, na aje.lakaa ha~n~ni.msu... na rukkhaa chijji.msu yuupathaaya, na dabbaa luuyi.msu barihisatthaaya."

      * Feel free to post your answer to the group. *

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.