Re: [Pali] need help translating AN 3.3.3.9 ("Paṭi cchanna Sutta")

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2010
      Dear Larry,

      In the Duka Nipata of the Anguttara, the Buddha says that when studying the
      Suttas, we need to identify whether the teaching is explicit (niitattha) or
      implicit (neyyattha). Explicit usually means it refers directly to true
      reality, such as the terms, impermanent, not self, etc. Implicit means that
      the meaning has top be drawn out."

      The passage you mentionis clearly an implicit, socially conditioned
      statement. It refers to the situation in the Buddha's time or the time when
      that particular sutta was composed.

      Moreover, that statement refers to the monks and those keeping the celibacy
      rule. As such, we need know botht the text and its context.

      With metta,

      Piya

      On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...>wrote:

      > Dear Larry,
      >
      > I don't think it means so much "affairs with women" (licentious affairs) as
      > "the
      > ways of women" which is how E. M. Hare translates it:
      > The ways of womenfolk are secret, not open. Brāhmins practise their chants
      > in
      > secret, not openly. Those of perverse views hold their views secretly not
      > openly. (The Book of the Gradual Sayings, Vol 1, page 261).
      >
      > It could also just be translated as "Women are secret, not open..." which I
      >
      > think is equally valid (the translation only of course, not the sentiment).
      >
      > The phrase mātugāma itself just means "womenfolk" per the PED (s. v.
      > mātar),
      > although it does seem to have an overtone of "dealings with women" (=
      > methuna or
      > sex) per PED s.v. gāma-dhamma.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Metta,
      >
      > Bryan
      >
      > ________________________________

      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      hpl: 8211 0879
      Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

    • larryrosenfeld
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2010
        Whoops -- meant to say thanks to Bryan (not "Barry"). My bad. Thanks again! - Larry

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "larryrosenfeld" <larryrosenfeld@...> wrote:

        > Hi Barry,
        >
        > Thank you so much for sharing you knowledge and wisdom! Very helpful and much appreciated!
        >
        > With gratitude,
        > Larry
      • larryrosenfeld
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2010
          Tomo - Thank you too for the very thoughtful analysis. Very intriguing. Best, Larry

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Tomoyuki Kono <tomokn@...> wrote:

          > Dear all,
          >
          > I wouldn't read too much into the word mātugāmo.
          >
          > One of the common meanings of āvahati is to take as a bride. According
          > to Monier-Williams, vahati also has that meaning.
          >
          > The word mātugāmo has the nominative ending and one would normally
          > expect the verb to be passive (āvuyhati) but clearly it isn't here. So
          > vahati here must be intransitive, meaning "to ride, go by or in (with
          > instr. of the vehicle); be borne or carried away" (See Monier-
          > Williams). PED also lists the intransitive sense, "to proceed", etc.
          > This could be translated with a passive sentence in colloquial
          > English. At any rate the reference must still be to how a woman is led
          > to her husband's place in marriage.
          >
          > My suggestion therefore is:
          > "A bride is taken [to the groom's house] concealed, not revealed."
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Tomo
        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2010
            Dear Tomo,

            Good suggestion. I looked up the commentary which says vahanti = niyyanti
            (passive of nayati or neti, 'being led"), a meaning which goes well with your
            suggestion,

            Best, Bryan