The New Pali Course Part III [37/120]

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 13, 2010
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter III Passive Forms

      * haa (to decrease) + ya + ti = hiiyati, is decreased
      * upa + maa (to measure) + ya + ti = upamiiyati, is compared

      ii of the above is shortened when y of ya is doubled:
      * upamiyyati (to be compared)
      * daa (to give) + ya + ti = diyyati or diiyati

      (d) The final i and u of the roots are lengthened before ya when y is not doubled:

      * ni (to lead) + ya + ti = niiyati, niyyati
      * ci (to collect) + ya + ti = ciiyati, ciyyati
      * su (to hear) + ya + ti = suuyati, suyyati

      (e) To the roots ending in uu the sign is added without any change:

      * luu (to reap) + ya + ti = luuyati, is reaped
      * bhuu (to be) + ya + ti = bhuuyati, is becoming

      (f) The most common way to form passive bases is to insert an ii between the root and the sign ya:

      * kara (to do) + ii + ya + ti = kariiyati, is done
      * hasa (to laugh) + ii + ya + ti = hasiiyati, is laughed

      (1) In some cases, ya is added to the active bases by means of ii:

      root base
      chidA > chinda + ii + ya + ti = chindiiyati
      mucA > mu~nca + ii + ya + ti = mu~nciiyati
      gahA > ga.nha + ii + ya + ti = ga.nhiiyati
      rudhA > rundha + ii + ya + ti = rundhiiyati

      YP: chindiiyati, is cut
      YP: mu~nciiyati, is released
      YP: ga.nhiiyati, is taken
      YP: rundhiiyati, is hidden

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 26, 2011
        Op 26-jan-2011, om 13:41 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

        > As mentioned earlier, I will in future put question and its
        > glossaries together. This is not the exact way the book is
        > organised, which keeps the questions and glossaries apart. But, in
        > the Internet environment, the book has to be adapted. There will
        > also be not "wait time" for the glossaries to be posted weeks after
        > the questions. I hope this approach will be more helpful for you
        > and other members.
        -----
        N: Thank you for your concern, don't worry about me. I had actually
        fun looking up the messages. But what you suggest now makes things
        easier. I am not so sure everybody follows these exercises and I like
        to make fellow members enthusiastical. Anyway, you take a lot of
        trouble to keep things going.