Re: AN2.3 Baala Vagga (11)

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
      Dear Bryan and Nina,

      thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

      Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
      tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
      O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

      kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
      - ka (pronoun) what?
      - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
      -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
      -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

      I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

      Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
      thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
      And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

      >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
      >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
      >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

      > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

      N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,