Re: [Pali] AN2.3 Baala Vagga (11)

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 5, 2010
      Dear Bryan and Yong Peng,
      Op 4-sep-2010, om 18:22 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

      > Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
      > <tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
      > <Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?I
      >
      > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good)
      > result" (PED
      > s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the
      > (good) result of
      > tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of
      > developed
      > tranquility?"
      ------
      N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also
      profit or benefit.
      ----
      As to <And indeed, O monks, without greed (is) the release of the
      mind, without ignorance (is) the release of wisdom.">, I am inclined
      to add: being: being without greed... being without ignorance.

      An addition from the commentary, in short:
      The commentary explains that in this sutta citta.m bhaaviiyati, citta
      that is developed, pertains to magga-citta, the lokuttara citta that
      attains enlightenment. Raga is opposed to magga-citta and magga-citta
      is opposed to raga.
      As to vipassanaa, avijjaa is opposed to magga-pa~n~naa and magga-
      pa~n~naa is opposed to avijjaa. Avijjaa is the root of vatta, the
      cycle of birth and death. Magga pa~n~naa eradicates avijjaa.
      The two dhammas namely maggacitta and maggapa~n~naa arise together.
      N: Citta can represent the cetasika concentration. Thus, lokuttara
      magga-citta is accompanied by concentration (calm) and wisdom.
      As to cetovimutti, this refers to phala samaadhi, samaadhi
      accompanying phalacitta, the lokuttara vipaakacitta succeeding the
      magga-citta which eradicates defilements. At the moment of phalacitta
      defilements have been eradicated and thus this is the greatest calm.
      As to pa~n~naa-vimutti, this is freedom from avijjaa which has been
      abandoned.

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."