Re: [Pali] AN2.3 Baala Vagga (11)

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 4, 2010
      Thank you Yong Peng,

      <Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
      <tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
      <Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?I

      attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED
      s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of
      tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed
      tranquility?"

      Metta, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

        >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
        >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

        > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

        N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.