AN2.3 Baala Vagga (10)

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 1, 2010
      Dear Nina, Bryan and friends,

      31. "Dvaaha.m, bhikkhave, atthavase sampassamaano ara~n~navanapatthaani pantaani senaasanaani pa.tisevaami. Katame dve? Attano ca di.t.thadhammasukhavihaara.m sampassamaano, pacchima~nca janata.m anukampamaano. Ime kho aha.m, bhikkhave, dve atthavase sampassamaano ara~n~navanapatthaani pantaani senaasanaani pa.tisevaamii"ti.

      "Dvaaha.m, bhikkhave, atthavase sampassamaano ara~n~navanapatthaani pantaani senaasanaani pa.tisevaami.
      two-I / monks / reasons / considering / forests and jungles / isolated quarters / pursue
      "O monks, considering two reasons, I pursue forests and jungles, and isolated quarters.

      aha.m (pron) I.
      atthavasa (m) reason.
      sampassamaana (ppr. of sampassati) considering.
      ara~n~navanapattha = forest and jungle.
      - ara~n~na (n) forest.
      - vanapattha (m) forest jungle.
      pantaani senaasanaani [phrase] isolated quarters.
      panta (adj) distant, remote, solitary, secluded.
      senaasana (n) dwelling, lodging.
      pa.tisevati (v) pursues.

      Katame dve?
      which / two
      Which two?

      Attano ca di.t.thadhammasukhavihaara.m sampassamaano, pacchima~nca janata.m anukampamaano.
      of own / and / happiness in this life / considering / next-and / generation / having compassion for
      Considering the happiness in this life of mine, and having compassion for the next generation.

      attan (m) own.
      di.t.thadhamma-sukhavihaara
      - di.t.thadhamma (cpd) this world/life.
      - sukhavihaara (cpd) dwelling at ease, i.e. happiness.
      pacchima (adj) latest.
      janataa (f) populace, group (of people).
      anukampamaana (ppr. of anukampati) sympathising with.

      Ime kho aha.m, bhikkhave, dve atthavase sampassamaano ara~n~navanapatthaani pantaani senaasanaani pa.tisevaamii"ti.
      these / indeed / I / monks / two / reasons / considering / forests and jungles / isolated quarters / pursue
      Indeed, O monks, considering these two reasons, I pursue forests and jungles, and isolated quarters."

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

        >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
        >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

        > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

        N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.