Fw: [Pali] Re: How to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka

  • Ananda Bhante
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15 7:31 AM
      Dear Friends,

      As I am seeing some discussion about Pali Tipitaka, I want to share my
      experience and it may be helpful or it may old news for you.

      I have been using Vipassana Research Institute, Igatpuri's website
      www.tipitaka.org and it is very helpful for online using the entire Tipitaka,
      atthakatha and tika. You can down load as it is still in trial version.

      Now the Chattha Sangayana CD ROM version 4 has come out. It is about 250 MB and
      it is very helpful and it is possible to download on computer. It provides whole
      Tipitaka, atthakatha, tika and some prominent classics like Visuddhimagga. The
      search provision is good but we cannot find words with diacritical marks. The
      dictionary is quite excellent.

      Please write to
      Vipassana Research Institute
      Vipassana International Academy - Dhamma Giri
      P.O. Box 6
      Igatpuri 422 403, District Nasik, Maharashtra India
      Tel: [91](02553) 244076,244086
      Fax: [91](02553) 244176
      Email: info@...

      metta,
      Ananda bhante

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16 5:00 AM

        as far as I understand, there is no Chattha Sangayana CD ROM version 4 or CSCD4. Please stop this nonsense.

        The previous version is CSCD3, and it is no longer available from VRI. However, you can always burn a copy from someone else for private study. If you are technically savvy, you may download the ISO image and burn the CD-ROM from it.

        http://www.tipitaka.org/

        There were news about the CSCD4 many years ago, but I have no idea what it was intended to be and the reasons it was stopped. However, a desktop client CST4 is available for those who are interested.

        http://www.tipitaka.org/

        Again, the development of CST4 has stopped, and I have no idea what will happen next. CST4 was developed by Frank Snow on a voluntary basis, and I believe such works need recognition, encouragement and (at least moral) support for a lay person always has other commitments.

        For myself, I still use CSCD3 occasionally, but most of the time, I just use the web version directly.