Re: [Pali] help with a short chant

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2010
      Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa,

      Here is my translation of the chant. There appear to be some orthographical
      problems, unless I am misreading it. Perhaps someone else can check my
      translation,

      He [the Buddha] wards of cold and heat and predacious beasts (-hanti is 3rd
      sing. -hananti is 3rd plural), [he wards off] reptiles and mosquitoes, the cold
      seasons and the rains. Therefore terrible wind and heat that arises is destroyed
      (pa.tiha~n~nati is passive). Both for the benefit of a refuge and happiness
      [could also mean “a home for refuge, a home for happiness” as attha means both
      “home” and “benefit”, “blessing” “advantage”], the gift of an abode to the
      Sangha is to meditate and have insight (these appear to be infinitives, not past
      participles, therefore form should be jhaayitu.m and vipassitu.m – check
      spelling); it is praised by the Buddhas. Therefore the wise man, considering his
      own benefit (I assume attano is gen. and attha is the second meaning above)
      should construct (kaaraye) pleasant residences, he should cause to live
      (vaasaye) here (ettha) the very learned who [will] have boiled rice, drinks,
      cloth and sleeping places, and with a happy mind, he should give to the upright
      (ujubhuute – why ujubhuutes?). They [the upright] teach him the Dharma which
      removes all suffering. The person who knows this Dhamma in this world (idha)
      reaches complete extinction (pari-nibbaaty), he is free from the four outflows
      (an-aasavo), so it is said (‘ti).

      Metta, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2010
        Replies interwoven below.

        <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect = Intelligence

        Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
        Buddhist Monk

        Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
        Wang Noi
        Ayuthaya
        Thailand

        <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

        mobile:

        +66850941669

        <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

        <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want a signature like this?

        Here is my translation of the chant. There appear to be some orthographical
        problems, unless I am misreading it. Perhaps someone else can check my
        translation,

        [Dhammadarsa] excellent! thanks very much for your help. Just a few things occurred to me, as below.

        He [the Buddha] wards of cold and heat and predacious beasts (-hanti is 3rd
        sing. -hananti is 3rd plural), [he wards off] reptiles and mosquitoes, the cold
        seasons and the rains.

        [Dhammadarsa] I think the Buddha is not referred to, but the residence referred to below, i.e. the residence wards off…

        Therefore terrible wind and heat that arises is destroyed
        (pa.tiha~n~nati is passive). Both for the benefit of a refuge and happiness
        [could also mean “a home for refuge, a home for happiness” as attha means both
        “home” and “benefit”, “blessing” “advantage”],

        [Dhammadarsa] I think “a home for happiness” again referring to the residence below, as meditation and insight, mentioned below, would lead to happiness [nibbaana].

        the gift of an abode to the
        Sangha is to meditate and have insight (these appear to be infinitives, not past
        participles, therefore form should be jhaayitu.m and vipassitu.m – check
        spelling);

        [Dhammadarsa] ok, the text is not with me atm

        it is praised by the Buddhas. Therefore the wise man, considering his
        own benefit (I assume attano is gen. and attha is the second meaning above)
        should construct (kaaraye) pleasant residences, he should cause to live
        (vaasaye) here (ettha) the very learned who [will] have boiled rice, drinks,
        cloth and sleeping places, and with a happy mind, he should give to the upright
        (ujubhuute – why ujubhuutesu?).

        [Dhammadarsa] could it be “those upright in life”

        They [the upright] teach him the Dharma which
        removes all suffering. The person who knows this Dhamma in this world (idha)
        reaches complete extinction (pari-nibbaaty), he is free from the four outflows
        (an-aasavo), so it is said (‘ti).

        Metta, Bryan

        [Dhammadarsa] Kind Regards

        ________________________________
        I've just moved to a temple and they have one chant in the morning that I don't
        know. I'm trying to translate it, as I don't like chanting without knowing the
        meaning. This is what I've come up with, but would appreciate any
        suggestions/corrections:

        Siita'n u.nha'n pa.tihanti tato vaa.lamigaani ca
        Cool and heat they ward therefore predaceous beasts too

        Siri'nsape ca makase sisire caapi vu.t.thiyo
        Reptiles also mosquitoes in winter also even the rainy season??

        Tato vaataatapo ghoro sa~njaato pa.tiha~n~nati
        Therefore wind and heat was produced he is afflicted

        Lenattha~nca sukhattha~nca jhaayita'n ca vipassitu'n
        ?? happiness you [pl.] have and meditation and insight

        Vihaaradaana'n sa'nghassa agga'n buddhehi va.n.nita'n
        A residence gift for the community the highest by the Buddhas extolled

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2010
          Hi Ven. Dhammadarsa,

          <[Dhammadarsa] I think the Buddha is not referred to, but the residence
          referred to below, i.e. the residence wards off…>
          Yes, I think you're right about that

          <[Dhammadarsa] I think “a home for happiness” again referring to the residence
          below, as meditation and insight, mentioned below, would lead to happiness
          [nibbaana]>
          Yes, both work but in the context attha probably means home.
          <[Dhammadarsa] could it be “those upright in life”>
          Does the text say ujubhuutes (which is what you have in the original note) or
          ujbhuutesu; if the latter, then it's a locative plural. One would expect a
          dative after the verb dadeyya (ujubhuutaana.m), but I suppose loc. would also
          work. ujubhuuta just means "upright" per PED but I think it could also mean
          upright in life (which is really the same thing).

          Metta, Bryan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2010
            Kind Sir and all

            Yes, sorry there was a typo in the original note, it should be ujbhuutesu.

            The added explanation is much appreciated.

            Kind Regards

[...]

            <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412 <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&invite=1&lang=en> &src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&invite=1&lang=en>
            Always have my latest info

            <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> &lang=en> Want a
            signature like this?

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
              Hi,

              These books are recently published with beautiful covers. They can be obtained in Malaysia for less than RM100 each. I am wondering if they are worth buying.

              A Pali Grammar on the Basis of Kachchayano
              Francis Mason
              Nabu Press (April 2010)
              1148948775 (ISBN)

              Handbook of Pali: Being an Elementary Grammar, a Chrestomathy and a Glossary
              Oscar Frankfurter
              Nabu Press (June 2010)
              1175172561 (ISBN)

              A Simplified Grammar of the Pali Language
              Edward Muller
              Nabu Press (March 2010)
              1146748329 (ISBN)

              Elements of Pali Grammar: Adapted for Schools and Private Study
              James Gray
              Nabu Press (February 2010)
              1143345797 (ISBN)

              A Compendious Pali Grammar: With a Vocabulary in the Same Language
              Benjamin Clough & William Tolfrey
              Nabu Press (February 2010)
              1145705685 (ISBN)

              Thanks,