Re: [Pali] Re: How to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
      Pali Friends,

      WT which I am using is the same as the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka, but more
      user-friendly, complete with chapter headings, subheadings, etc.

      Disadvantage: it does not cover the Atthakatha (yet).

      With metta,

      Piya

      --
      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644

    • Dhammadarsa
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 9, 2010
        Ven/Kind Sirs and Ladies

        I'll have to check about those other versions, but someone pointed out that
        the edition which is the result of the 6th Council has been scanned online.
        I don't know if the changes have been applied to other editions. I would
        hope so.

        Supporter Piya, do you know if the WT edition was based on the *submission*
        to the 6th Council or on the *result* of the 6th Council?

        Kind Regards
        ------------------------------------
        Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
        Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
        Buddhist Monk
        Wang Noi
        Ayuthaya
        Thailand
        mobile: +66850941669
        www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa
        ------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
          Darsa Bhikkhu,

          As far as I notice, the WT is the same as the CST. The WT is based in
          Thailand, would you be able to contact them directly?

          The CST is a scanned version of the printed edition. Perhaps more
          knowedgeable people might give further information.

          With metta,

          Piya

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
              Dear Piya,

              I checked the PDF, and it reads on the first page (front cover?) Buddhist Era 2552, Burmese Era 1370, AD 2008...

              It now seems like we have 2 new "standard" editions for Pali Tipitaka, this and WT.

              Anyway, on the following page, you will find an email address to request for a CD-ROM, on the same page, you also find a link to download the ISO image (528.5MB) to burn the disc yourself.

              http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-inicio

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:

              As I have informed Bhante Sumana earlier, the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka (scan of the actual volumes) can be found here:

              http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-concordancia
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
                Thanks, Yong Peng,

                I have burned it on CD.

                For those new to this: To start we click "Start" button (it is best to have
                a shortcut in desktop).

                However, some of the files do not open, or open slowly.

                The online version seems more smooth. Maybe i am missing something about the
                CD version.

                With metta,

                Piya

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2010
                  Dear Piya,

                  you downloaded and burnt the ISO image on a CD, and still get PDF documents. If this is what you mean, then it is similar to downloading the PDF individually and burned them to a CD, or instead load them to iPad or other PDF readers.

                  I do not intend to try it myself, but there are known cases of slow reading after burning ISO images. Most often, it has to do with the optical media, but there are other possibilities too. I suggest you try burning onto another blank to check.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010
                    Dear Piya,

                    I have very little understanding of the 6th Council. Please help with these questions.

                    1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the Tika?

                    2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                    Thank you.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010

                      1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the
                      > Tika?
                      >
                      > The Council redacted the texts, commentaries, and Tika, too. It took them 2
                      years. (See "6th Council" under Wiki)

                      > 2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of
                      > Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that
                      > no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                      I think only the Myanmarese accept these as canonical but not the others.

                      See this informative video:

                      http://www.pariyatti.org/ResourcesProjects/Treasures/ChatthaSangayana/tabid/78/Default.aspx

                      With metta,

                      Piya

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 6 4:01 AM
                        Dear Piya,

                        thanks for the answers and video link. I hope someone will look into the historicity of the 6th Council and write a book on it.