RE: [Pali] How to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka

  • Sumana Athale
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
      Thank you all who reply my qustion
      with metta
      Bhante Sumana

      --- On Sat, 7/8/10, Dhammadarsa <dhammadaso@...> wrote:

      From: Dhammadarsa <dhammadaso@...>
      Subject: RE: [Pali] How to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka
      To: Pali@yahoogroups.com

      Ven Sir

      To download the Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka to your computer, go to this web
      page and follow the instructions: http://www.tipitaka.org/cst4.

      Just letting you know that this version of the Tipitaka is the Burmese
      submission to the 6th Council, it is not the result of the 6th Council. So
      the errors corrected in the 6th Council do not appear in this edition.

      Kind Regards

      <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
      Intelligence

      Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
      Buddhist Monk

      Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
      Wang Noi
      Ayuthaya
      Thailand

      <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

      mobile:

      +66850941669

      <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
      invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

      <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
      a signature like this?

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
        Venerable Bhante Sumana,

        Please try the following link
        http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/

        You cannot download the whole lot at once, but will have to go step by step.

        First, you will find the following on the left side of the page.
        Tipitaka (Roman)
        Tipitaka (Mula)
        Atthakatha
        Tika
        Anya

        Please click on Tipitaka (Mula), and you will find:
        Vinayapitaka
        Suttapitaka
        Abhidhammapitaka

        Please click on Vinayapitaka, and you will find:
        Parajikapali
        Pacittiyapali
        Mahavaggapali
        Culavaggapali
        Parivarapali

        Please click on Parajikapali, and you will find:
        Veranjakandam
        1. Parajikakandam
        2. Sanghadisesakandam
        3. Aniyatakandam
        4. Nissaggiyakandam

        Please click on 1. Parajikakandam, and you will find:
        1. Parajikakandam on the right side of the page.

        You can then copy the text on the right side of the page and paste it on.
        You have to copy the whole text that appears on the right side, not a portion of it.

        In this way, you can go on, one by one, what is listed on the left side.

        Respectfully,
        Han
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
          Ven. Dhammadarsa,

          what about PTS Pali edition, and the World Tipitaka (WT) edition?

          http://www.palitext.com/palitext/ptext.htm
          http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/

          Am I correct to say that both editions were based on a Sinhala edition (for PTS) and a Thai edition (for WT) with cross references (mainly in the form of footnotes) to other existing editions?

          I thought we shouldn't miss this: we also have the online SLTP edition on the web.

          I am sure many are similarly curious, what happened to the actual product of the recitation and compilation of the 6th Council in Myanmar (formerly Burma)?

          Thank you.

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
            Pali Friends,

            WT which I am using is the same as the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka, but more
            user-friendly, complete with chapter headings, subheadings, etc.

            Disadvantage: it does not cover the Atthakatha (yet).

            With metta,

            Piya

            --
            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644

          • Dhammadarsa
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 9, 2010
              Ven/Kind Sirs and Ladies

              I'll have to check about those other versions, but someone pointed out that
              the edition which is the result of the 6th Council has been scanned online.
              I don't know if the changes have been applied to other editions. I would
              hope so.

              Supporter Piya, do you know if the WT edition was based on the *submission*
              to the 6th Council or on the *result* of the 6th Council?

              Kind Regards
              ------------------------------------
              Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
              Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
              Buddhist Monk
              Wang Noi
              Ayuthaya
              Thailand
              mobile: +66850941669

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                Darsa Bhikkhu,

                As far as I notice, the WT is the same as the CST. The WT is based in
                Thailand, would you be able to contact them directly?

                The CST is a scanned version of the printed edition. Perhaps more
                knowedgeable people might give further information.

                With metta,

                Piya

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
                    Dear Piya,

                    I checked the PDF, and it reads on the first page (front cover?) Buddhist Era 2552, Burmese Era 1370, AD 2008...

                    It now seems like we have 2 new "standard" editions for Pali Tipitaka, this and WT.

                    Anyway, on the following page, you will find an email address to request for a CD-ROM, on the same page, you also find a link to download the ISO image (528.5MB) to burn the disc yourself.

                    http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-inicio

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:

                    As I have informed Bhante Sumana earlier, the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka (scan of the actual volumes) can be found here:

                    http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-concordancia
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
                      Thanks, Yong Peng,

                      I have burned it on CD.

                      For those new to this: To start we click "Start" button (it is best to have
                      a shortcut in desktop).

                      However, some of the files do not open, or open slowly.

                      The online version seems more smooth. Maybe i am missing something about the
                      CD version.

                      With metta,

                      Piya

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 17, 2010
                        Dear Piya,

                        you downloaded and burnt the ISO image on a CD, and still get PDF documents. If this is what you mean, then it is similar to downloading the PDF individually and burned them to a CD, or instead load them to iPad or other PDF readers.

                        I do not intend to try it myself, but there are known cases of slow reading after burning ISO images. Most often, it has to do with the optical media, but there are other possibilities too. I suggest you try burning onto another blank to check.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010
                          Dear Piya,

                          I have very little understanding of the 6th Council. Please help with these questions.

                          1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the Tika?

                          2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                          Thank you.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010

                            1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the
                            > Tika?
                            >
                            > The Council redacted the texts, commentaries, and Tika, too. It took them 2
                            years. (See "6th Council" under Wiki)

                            > 2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of
                            > Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that
                            > no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                            I think only the Myanmarese accept these as canonical but not the others.

                            See this informative video:

                            http://www.pariyatti.org/ResourcesProjects/Treasures/ChatthaSangayana/tabid/78/Default.aspx

                            With metta,

                            Piya

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 6, 2010
                              Dear Piya,

                              thanks for the answers and video link. I hope someone will look into the historicity of the 6th Council and write a book on it.