How to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka

  • Sumana Athale
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 6, 2010
      I want to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka to my pc. How can i do it.
      With metta
      Bhante Sumana

    • P D Ubale
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
        Bhanteji,
        You may get it from VRI Igatpuri web site or by post free
         --P D Ubale.

        ________________________________
        I want to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka to my pc. How can i do it.
        With metta
        Bhante Sumana

      • Dhammadarsa
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
          Ven Sir

          To download the Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka to your computer, go to this web
          page and follow the instructions: http://www.tipitaka.org/cst4.

          Just letting you know that this version of the Tipitaka is the Burmese
          submission to the 6th Council, it is not the result of the 6th Council. So
          the errors corrected in the 6th Council do not appear in this edition.

          Kind Regards

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
          Intelligence

          Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
          Buddhist Monk

          Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
          Wang Noi
          Ayuthaya
          Thailand

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

          mobile:

          +66850941669

          <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
          invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

          <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
          a signature like this?

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
            Thank you all who reply my qustion
            with metta
            Bhante Sumana

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
              As I have informed Bhante Sumana earlier, the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka
              (scan of the actual volumes) can be found here:

              http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-concordancia

              However, cut and paste is a bit difficult here. I am unable to get the exact
              copy.

              Still it is an excellent version.

              With metta,

              Piya

              On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Sumana Athale <sumanaathale@...>wrote:

              > I want to download Chatta Sangayana Tipitaka to my pc. How can i do it.
              > With metta
              > Bhante Sumana

              The Minding Centre
              Singapore 650644
              hpl: 8211 0879
              Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

            • han tun
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
                Venerable Bhante Sumana,

                Please try the following link
                http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/

                You cannot download the whole lot at once, but will have to go step by step.

                First, you will find the following on the left side of the page.
                Tipitaka (Roman)
                Tipitaka (Mula)
                Atthakatha
                Tika
                Anya

                Please click on Tipitaka (Mula), and you will find:
                Vinayapitaka
                Suttapitaka
                Abhidhammapitaka

                Please click on Vinayapitaka, and you will find:
                Parajikapali
                Pacittiyapali
                Mahavaggapali
                Culavaggapali
                Parivarapali

                Please click on Parajikapali, and you will find:
                Veranjakandam
                1. Parajikakandam
                2. Sanghadisesakandam
                3. Aniyatakandam
                4. Nissaggiyakandam

                Please click on 1. Parajikakandam, and you will find:
                1. Parajikakandam on the right side of the page.

                You can then copy the text on the right side of the page and paste it on.
                You have to copy the whole text that appears on the right side, not a portion of it.

                In this way, you can go on, one by one, what is listed on the left side.

                Respectfully,
                Han
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
                  Ven. Dhammadarsa,

                  what about PTS Pali edition, and the World Tipitaka (WT) edition?

                  http://www.palitext.com/palitext/ptext.htm
                  http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/

                  Am I correct to say that both editions were based on a Sinhala edition (for PTS) and a Thai edition (for WT) with cross references (mainly in the form of footnotes) to other existing editions?

                  I thought we shouldn't miss this: we also have the online SLTP edition on the web.

                  I am sure many are similarly curious, what happened to the actual product of the recitation and compilation of the 6th Council in Myanmar (formerly Burma)?

                  Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2010
                    Pali Friends,

                    WT which I am using is the same as the Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka, but more
                    user-friendly, complete with chapter headings, subheadings, etc.

                    Disadvantage: it does not cover the Atthakatha (yet).

                    With metta,

                    Piya

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 9, 2010
                      Ven/Kind Sirs and Ladies

                      I'll have to check about those other versions, but someone pointed out that
                      the edition which is the result of the 6th Council has been scanned online.
                      I don't know if the changes have been applied to other editions. I would
                      hope so.

                      Supporter Piya, do you know if the WT edition was based on the *submission*
                      to the 6th Council or on the *result* of the 6th Council?

                      Kind Regards
                      ------------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 14, 2010
                        Darsa Bhikkhu,

                        As far as I notice, the WT is the same as the CST. The WT is based in
                        Thailand, would you be able to contact them directly?

                        The CST is a scanned version of the printed edition. Perhaps more
                        knowedgeable people might give further information.

                        With metta,

                        Piya

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
                            Dear Piya,

                            I checked the PDF, and it reads on the first page (front cover?) Buddhist Era 2552, Burmese Era 1370, AD 2008...

                            It now seems like we have 2 new "standard" editions for Pali Tipitaka, this and WT.

                            Anyway, on the following page, you will find an email address to request for a CD-ROM, on the same page, you also find a link to download the ISO image (528.5MB) to burn the disc yourself.

                            http://www.btmar.org/content/tipitaka-del-sexto-concilio-buddhista-inicio

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 16, 2010
                              Thanks, Yong Peng,

                              I have burned it on CD.

                              For those new to this: To start we click "Start" button (it is best to have
                              a shortcut in desktop).

                              However, some of the files do not open, or open slowly.

                              The online version seems more smooth. Maybe i am missing something about the
                              CD version.

                              With metta,

                              Piya

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 17, 2010
                                Dear Piya,

                                you downloaded and burnt the ISO image on a CD, and still get PDF documents. If this is what you mean, then it is similar to downloading the PDF individually and burned them to a CD, or instead load them to iPad or other PDF readers.

                                I do not intend to try it myself, but there are known cases of slow reading after burning ISO images. Most often, it has to do with the optical media, but there are other possibilities too. I suggest you try burning onto another blank to check.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010
                                  Dear Piya,

                                  I have very little understanding of the 6th Council. Please help with these questions.

                                  1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the Tika?

                                  2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                                  Thank you.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 24, 2010

                                    1. Did the 6th Council also compiled the commentaries? What about the
                                    > Tika?
                                    >
                                    > The Council redacted the texts, commentaries, and Tika, too. It took them 2
                                    years. (See "6th Council" under Wiki)

                                    > 2. I suppose the 6th Council accepted and approved the inclusion of
                                    > Nettippakarana, Milindapanha and Petakopadesa. Does that natually mean that
                                    > no one can challenge their canonical status anymore?

                                    I think only the Myanmarese accept these as canonical but not the others.

                                    See this informative video:

                                    http://www.pariyatti.org/ResourcesProjects/Treasures/ChatthaSangayana/tabid/78/Default.aspx

                                    With metta,

                                    Piya

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 6, 2010
                                      Dear Piya,

                                      thanks for the answers and video link. I hope someone will look into the historicity of the 6th Council and write a book on it.