Re: [Pali] Voc Plural used with Personal Name

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      Dear Alan,

      I think you're referring to Warder, Introduction to Pali, 3rd edition, 2001,
      page 165, footnote 4, where the Buddha addresses Vaase.t.tha in the voc. plural
      as Vaase.t.thaa, as he hs referring to both Vaase.t.thaa and Bhaaradvaaja (DN
      iii, 81).

      I'm not familiar with this usage in classical Sanskrit; but remember there is a
      dual in Skt., so if it were used presumably it would be dual (-au), but as I
      said, I've never seen it,

      Best, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2010
        Dear Alan and Bryan,
        Op 3-aug-2010, om 23:44 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

        > I think you're referring to Warder, Introduction to Pali, 3rd
        > edition, 2001,
        > page 165, footnote 4, where the Buddha addresses Vaase.t.tha in the
        > voc. plural
        > as Vaase.t.thaa, as he hs referring to both Vaase.t.thaa and
        > Bhaaradvaaja (DN
        > iii, 81).
        --------
        N: I have met this more often. For example in MIII, sutta 128
        Upakkilesasutta: Anuruddhas, Anuruddha and companions, namely Ven.
        Nandiya and KImbila."I hope things are going well with you,
        Anuruddhas..."