Re: [Pali] Re: AN2.3 Baala Vagga (4), 5.

    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 30, 2010
      Dear Yong Peng,
      Op 30-jul-2010, om 3:07 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > I have a look at my pocket Oxford dictionary ISBN 0-19-860183-2,
      > which I mentioned to the group a few years ago. This little guy was
      > first published in 1995, and I have the 2nd reprint in 1997 in
      > Great Britain by Oxford University Press. It's been around with me
      > since. :-)
      >
      > The 1998 2nd edition is still available from amazon.com for only
      > $5.55 new! And the cover still looks the same. ;-) Just search for
      > ISBN 0198601832. As many are aware, Oxford is the authority for
      > English dictionary.
      --------
      N: My edition is 1956, it is antique. I learnt English about seventy
      years ago, time flies.
      -------

      > Y.P.Under the entry 'per', I reproduce as follows:
      >
      > per [prep.] 1. for each. 2. in accordance with. 3. by means of.
      ------
      N: My old edition: per:
      1. (in Latin phrases) by, through as per annum (=yearly, by the year).
      2. (in English) by means of; through; by the action of; for each, as
      per post; per Mr. Smith (=sent by); 15 rounds of ammunition per man
      (=for each); 6 per cent (=for each hundred).
      -------
      It is true, language evolves. I would like to encourage the younger
      generation here to come in to help with the translations of the
      suttas and the Pali Exercises.
      Thank you very much,

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

        >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
        >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

        > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

        N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.