Re: [Pali] Self Introduction

  • Chan Kin Sung
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
      Hi,

      There is this theravada meditation group in Hong Kong, maybe you can look
      for it. But Goenka traditions only teaches meditation. They will introduce
      satipassathana sutta after joining their meditation retreat a few times.

      http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/noncenter/hk.shtml

      On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Patrick Cho <cho-chiyin@...>wrote:

      > Hi Pali Moderator,
      >
      > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
      > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I converted
      > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha taught
      > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
      > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
      > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
      > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
      > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the Pali
      > language.
      >
      > With metta,
      >
      > Patrick Cho

    • Patrick Cho
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
        Dear All,

        I found the Digital Pali Reader very good as I just had it installed
        yesterday.

        With metta,

        Patrick Cho

        From: Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
          Hi All

          Thanks Chan Kin Sung for your info on a mediation group in HK.

          As far as I know, Goenka followers don't call themselves "Theravada" and
          they only take Goenka or whoever is approved by him as their teacher.

          I attended a retreat in a Goenka centre in Australia and was shocked by the
          requirement to commit to following the instructions of the teacher without
          question and before being told what they were. For me this is not the kind
          of faith the Buddha encourages in the Pali texts.

          Kind Regards

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
          Intelligence

          Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
          Buddhist Monk

          Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
          Wang Noi
          Ayuthaya
          Thailand

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

          mobile:

          +66850941669

          <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
          invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

          <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
          a signature like this?

          <mailto:cho-chiyin%40i-cable.com> >wrote:

          > Hi Pali Moderator,
          >
          > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
          > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I
          converted
          > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha
          taught
          > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
          > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
          > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
          > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
          > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the
          Pali
          > language.
          >
          > With metta,
          >
          > Patrick Cho