Re: [Pali] Re: AN2.3 Baala Vagga (1 and 2)

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 21, 2010

      Would it not simply be "He who does not accept the wrong doing of the one
      confessing (desentassa, i. e. gen.) according to the rules." It would be the
      gen. pres. participles of verb deseti. That's how I read it,

      Metta, Bryan

      ________________________________
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

        >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
        >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

        > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

        N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.