Re: [Pali] Re: AN2.3 Baala Vagga (1 and 2)

    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 21, 2010
      Op 21-jul-2010, om 8:03 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > ... yo accaya.m desentassa yathaadhamma.m nappa.tigga.nhaati.
      > ... (he) who does not accept a confession as the rules allow.
      >
      > I am still not clear about desentassa, whether it is in the
      > genitive or dative case, and why.
      ------
      N: PTS gives this example: accaya.m deseti: to confess a transgression.
      and also: accaya.m pa.tigga.nhaati: to accept (the confession of) a
      sin, to pardon a sin.
      Looking more closely, I see the problem of the genetive.
      I think that desentassa is genetive pertaining to the transgression
      of the other person.
      He does not accept the confession of the transgression of the (other)
      person who confesses it.
      The Pali is shorter.

      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 6, 2010
        Dear Bryan and Nina,

        thanks for your corrections and notes. I will rewrite one affected sentence as follow:

        Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        tranquility / monks / developed / what-benefit-achieves
        O monks, what good does developed tranquility accomplish?

        kamatthamanubhoti = ka.m atthamanubhoti.
        - ka (pronoun) what?
        - atthamanubhoti = attha.m anubhoti (phrase) achieves benefit.
        -- attha (m) benefit, gain, profit.
        -- anubhoti (v) gets, achieves.

        I will also rewrite the last sentence as follow:

        Iti kho, bhikkhave, raagaviraagaa cetovimutti, avijjaaviraagaa pa~n~naavimuttii"ti.
        thus / indeed / monks / detached of greed / release of mind / detached of ignorance / release of wisdom
        And indeed, O monks, absence of greed (is) the release of the mind, absence of ignorance (is) the release of wisdom."

        >> Samatho, bhikkhave, bhaavito kamatthamanubhoti?
        >> tranquility / monks / developed / why-endeavours
        >> Why, O monks, does (one) endeavour developing tranquility?

        > attamanubhoti is an idiom meaning "to fare well, to have a (good) result" (PED s.v. attha), so I would translate something like, "What is the (good) result of tranquility that has been cultivated?" or "What is the result of developed tranquility?"

        N: P.T.S. has: what profit results... A.t.tha means aim but also profit or benefit.