RE: [Pali] Self Introduction

  • Patrick Cho
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
      Dear Nina,

      Thanks for the e-mail.

      I have downloaded the Pali Primer and the other two books. I think I may
      have difficulties on really "reading" the books in Pali. The web sites you
      recommended are very good.

      Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please tell me
      more on how it works.

      With metta,

      Patrick Cho

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
        Dear Patrick,
        Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

        > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
        > tell me
        > more on how it works.
        ------
        N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

      • Dhammadarsa
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
          Hi all

          Welcome Patrick.

          Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
          I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

          Kind Regards

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
          Intelligence

          Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
          Buddhist Monk

          Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
          Wang Noi
          Ayuthaya
          Thailand

          <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

          mobile:

          +66850941669

          <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
          invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

          <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
          a signature like this?

          Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

          > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
          > tell me
          > more on how it works.
          ------
          N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

        • wimal Heva Mannage
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
            Dear Ven. Sir,
            How can I join with you. My new mail is wimalhm@...
            Thanks.
            Yours truly,
            Wimal
            Lecturer, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka

            Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

            > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
            > tell me
            > more on how it works.
            ------
            N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

          • Chan Kin Sung
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
              Hi,

              There is this theravada meditation group in Hong Kong, maybe you can look
              for it. But Goenka traditions only teaches meditation. They will introduce
              satipassathana sutta after joining their meditation retreat a few times.

              http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/noncenter/hk.shtml

              On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Patrick Cho <cho-chiyin@...>wrote:

              > Hi Pali Moderator,
              >
              > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
              > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I converted
              > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha taught
              > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
              > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
              > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
              > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
              > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the Pali
              > language.
              >
              > With metta,
              >
              > Patrick Cho

            • Patrick Cho
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                Dear All,

                I found the Digital Pali Reader very good as I just had it installed
                yesterday.

                With metta,

                Patrick Cho

                Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
                I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

                Kind Regards

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                Intelligence

                Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                Buddhist Monk

                Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                Wang Noi
                Ayuthaya
                Thailand

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                mobile:

                +66850941669

                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412
                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                > &src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig
                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en>
                &lang=en> Want
                a signature like this?

                From: Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>

                ------

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
                  Hi All

                  Thanks Chan Kin Sung for your info on a mediation group in HK.

                  As far as I know, Goenka followers don't call themselves "Theravada" and
                  they only take Goenka or whoever is approved by him as their teacher.

                  I attended a retreat in a Goenka centre in Australia and was shocked by the
                  requirement to commit to following the instructions of the teacher without
                  question and before being told what they were. For me this is not the kind
                  of faith the Buddha encourages in the Pali texts.

                  <mailto:cho-chiyin%40i-cable.com> >wrote:

                  > Hi Pali Moderator,
                  >
                  > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
                  > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I
                  converted
                  > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha
                  taught
                  > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
                  > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
                  > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
                  > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
                  > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the
                  Pali
                  > language.
                  >
                  > With metta,
                  >
                  > Patrick Cho