Re: [Pali] Self Introduction

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19, 2010
      Dear Patrick,
      Op 18-jul-2010, om 16:34 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

      > So I endeavored to
      > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and
      > the Pali
      > language.
      -------
      Welcome here. Do you find your way at the home page (top left, green
      bar, drop down menues) ? A lot of info. Ask questions.
      I kept info from Ria Glass for beginners which I find very helpful :
      For people who are just starting with pali the "pali primer" (http://
      www.pratyeka.org/Silva/) is easier as Narada thera's course. I would
      recommend doing them at the same time, with every two lessons of the
      primer followed by one lesson of Narada Thera. Especially in the
      beginning they have the same subject to study. Doing them both gives
      you more opportunity to practice the declensions.

      Ria: <As soon as you get the hang of reading (sooner as you think!
      Try it at lesson 7 from Narada thera's course) it is very worthwile
      to install the pali text reader: http://sourceforge.net/projects/
      digitalpali/ Then study the anguttara nikaya. The repeated frases
      make it a very good start.

      On http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/index.htm the Dhammapada is
      available in complete (explained) translation and sound files. Klick
      Pali lessons (on the left), klick 3, readings in pali text (on the
      right). The Dhammapada is poetic. The short sentences are much more
      difficult to translate and understand as the long ones from the
      Anguttara Nikaya. But this concise summary of the dhamma is very
      motivating to study, the translations, explanations and the
      soundfiles are very helpful.>

      Let us know how you make out,

    • Patrick Cho
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
        Dear Nina,

        Thanks for the e-mail.

        I have downloaded the Pali Primer and the other two books. I think I may
        have difficulties on really "reading" the books in Pali. The web sites you
        recommended are very good.

        Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please tell me
        more on how it works.

        With metta,

        Patrick Cho

        -------

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
          Dear Patrick,
          Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

          > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
          > tell me
          > more on how it works.
          ------
          N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

        • Dhammadarsa
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
            Hi all

            Welcome Patrick.

            Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
            I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

            Kind Regards

            <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
            Intelligence

            Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
            Buddhist Monk

            Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
            Wang Noi
            Ayuthaya
            Thailand

            <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

            mobile:

            +66850941669

            <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
            invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

            <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
            a signature like this?

            Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

            > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
            > tell me
            > more on how it works.
            ------
            N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

          • wimal Heva Mannage
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
              Dear Ven. Sir,
              How can I join with you. My new mail is wimalhm@...
              Thanks.
              Yours truly,
              Wimal
              Lecturer, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka

              Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

              > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
              > tell me
              > more on how it works.
              ------
              N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

            • Chan Kin Sung
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                Hi,

                There is this theravada meditation group in Hong Kong, maybe you can look
                for it. But Goenka traditions only teaches meditation. They will introduce
                satipassathana sutta after joining their meditation retreat a few times.

                http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/noncenter/hk.shtml

                On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Patrick Cho <cho-chiyin@...>wrote:

                > Hi Pali Moderator,
                >
                > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
                > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I converted
                > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha taught
                > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
                > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
                > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
                > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
                > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the Pali
                > language.
                >
                > With metta,
                >
                > Patrick Cho

              • Patrick Cho
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Dear All,

                  I found the Digital Pali Reader very good as I just had it installed
                  yesterday.

                  With metta,

                  Patrick Cho

                  Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
                  I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

                  Kind Regards

                  <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                  Intelligence

                  Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                  Buddhist Monk

                  Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                  Wang Noi
                  Ayuthaya
                  Thailand

                  <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                  mobile:

                  +66850941669

                  <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412
                  <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                  > &src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                  invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                  <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig
                  <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en>
                  &lang=en> Want
                  a signature like this?

                  From: Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>

                  ------

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
                    Hi All

                    Thanks Chan Kin Sung for your info on a mediation group in HK.

                    As far as I know, Goenka followers don't call themselves "Theravada" and
                    they only take Goenka or whoever is approved by him as their teacher.

                    I attended a retreat in a Goenka centre in Australia and was shocked by the
                    requirement to commit to following the instructions of the teacher without
                    question and before being told what they were. For me this is not the kind
                    of faith the Buddha encourages in the Pali texts.

                    <mailto:cho-chiyin%40i-cable.com> >wrote:

                    > Hi Pali Moderator,
                    >
                    > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
                    > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I
                    converted
                    > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha
                    taught
                    > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
                    > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
                    > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
                    > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
                    > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the
                    Pali
                    > language.
                    >
                    > With metta,
                    >
                    > Patrick Cho