Self Introduction

  • Patrick Cho
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hi Pali Moderator,

      I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
      two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I converted
      to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha taught
      (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
      Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
      organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
      ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
      join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the Pali
      language.

      With metta,

      Patrick Cho

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 19, 2010
        Dear Patrick,
        Op 18-jul-2010, om 16:34 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

        > So I endeavored to
        > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and
        > the Pali
        > language.
        -------
        Welcome here. Do you find your way at the home page (top left, green
        bar, drop down menues) ? A lot of info. Ask questions.
        I kept info from Ria Glass for beginners which I find very helpful :
        For people who are just starting with pali the "pali primer" (http://
        www.pratyeka.org/Silva/) is easier as Narada thera's course. I would
        recommend doing them at the same time, with every two lessons of the
        primer followed by one lesson of Narada Thera. Especially in the
        beginning they have the same subject to study. Doing them both gives
        you more opportunity to practice the declensions.

        Ria: <As soon as you get the hang of reading (sooner as you think!
        Try it at lesson 7 from Narada thera's course) it is very worthwile
        to install the pali text reader: http://sourceforge.net/projects/
        digitalpali/ Then study the anguttara nikaya. The repeated frases
        make it a very good start.

        On http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/index.htm the Dhammapada is
        available in complete (explained) translation and sound files. Klick
        Pali lessons (on the left), klick 3, readings in pali text (on the
        right). The Dhammapada is poetic. The short sentences are much more
        difficult to translate and understand as the long ones from the
        Anguttara Nikaya. But this concise summary of the dhamma is very
        motivating to study, the translations, explanations and the
        soundfiles are very helpful.>

        Let us know how you make out,

      • Patrick Cho
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010

          Thanks for the e-mail.

          I have downloaded the Pali Primer and the other two books. I think I may
          have difficulties on really "reading" the books in Pali. The web sites you
          recommended are very good.

          Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please tell me
          more on how it works.

          With metta,

          Patrick Cho

          -------

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
            Dear Patrick,
            Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

            > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
            > tell me
            > more on how it works.
            ------
            N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

          • Dhammadarsa
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 20, 2010
              Hi all

              Welcome Patrick.

              Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
              I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

              Kind Regards

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
              Intelligence

              Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
              Buddhist Monk

              Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
              Wang Noi
              Ayuthaya
              Thailand

              <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

              mobile:

              +66850941669

              <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
              invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

              <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
              a signature like this?

              Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

              > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
              > tell me
              > more on how it works.
              ------
              N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

            • wimal Heva Mannage
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                Dear Ven. Sir,
                How can I join with you. My new mail is wimalhm@...
                Thanks.
                Yours truly,
                Wimal
                Lecturer, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka

                Op 20-jul-2010, om 9:01 heeft Patrick Cho het volgende geschreven:

                > Also, I have a question on the Pali Text Reader. Could you please
                > tell me
                > more on how it works.
                ------
                N:This link does not work for me. I hope someone else can help.

              • Chan Kin Sung
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Hi,

                  There is this theravada meditation group in Hong Kong, maybe you can look
                  for it. But Goenka traditions only teaches meditation. They will introduce
                  satipassathana sutta after joining their meditation retreat a few times.

                  http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/noncenter/hk.shtml

                  On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Patrick Cho <cho-chiyin@...>wrote:

                  > Hi Pali Moderator,
                  >
                  > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
                  > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I converted
                  > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha taught
                  > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
                  > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
                  > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
                  > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
                  > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the Pali
                  > language.
                  >
                  > With metta,
                  >
                  > Patrick Cho

                • Patrick Cho
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Dear All,

                    I found the Digital Pali Reader very good as I just had it installed
                    yesterday.

                    With metta,

                    Patrick Cho

                    Recently [yesterday?] emailed the group about the Digital Pali Reader, which
                    I found to be better than the Pali Text Reader.

                    Kind Regards

                    <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                    Intelligence

                    Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                    Buddhist Monk

                    Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                    Wang Noi
                    Ayuthaya
                    Thailand

                    <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                    mobile:

                    +66850941669

                    <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412
                    <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                    > &src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                    invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                    <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig
                    <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en>
                    &lang=en> Want
                    a signature like this?

                    From: Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com>

                    ------

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
                      Hi All

                      Thanks Chan Kin Sung for your info on a mediation group in HK.

                      As far as I know, Goenka followers don't call themselves "Theravada" and
                      they only take Goenka or whoever is approved by him as their teacher.

                      I attended a retreat in a Goenka centre in Australia and was shocked by the
                      requirement to commit to following the instructions of the teacher without
                      question and before being told what they were. For me this is not the kind
                      of faith the Buddha encourages in the Pali texts.

                      <mailto:cho-chiyin%40i-cable.com> >wrote:

                      > Hi Pali Moderator,
                      >
                      > I am a new member of the Pali group and I live in Hong Kong. I attended
                      > two Mahayana Buddhism classes a few years ago. Early this year, I
                      converted
                      > to Buddhism. I always have a desire to learn more of what the Buddha
                      taught
                      > (in his original words and language). I find it not easy to do so in Hong
                      > Kong as there is no Theravada Buddhist Monastery or few Theravada Buddhism
                      > organizations here. As I browsed through the web sites searching to find
                      > ways to learn the Pali language, I found your group. So I endeavored to
                      > join your group and I would like to know more about the dhamma and the
                      Pali
                      > language.
                      >
                      > With metta,
                      >
                      > Patrick Cho