cittassa ekadhammassa

  • Phra Kaset
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17 4:27 PM
      Dear Piya Tan and friend

      > I am the new member of this group. I like this group of pali and nikaya translation and discussion.It is the best group in the universe who learn the word of the Buddha direct from the original Pali and try to understand it first hand. I appreciate your group on these activities.Please accept my ignorant if I ask just some simple question.

      I have one passage below that interests me. I try to translate it. But it is not clear to me particularly the phrase of "Cittassa ekadhammassa"in this context.Some translate it as "when mind has One-pointedness." It seem to me that "ekadhammassa mean one-pointedness" I can not see that Dhamma can be translated as "pointedness." Therefor I rather leave it untranslated. Also I rather translate "eka" as "only" or "alone" than "one"since there are many Dhamma.

      Kenassu niiyati loko, kenassu parikassati; Kissassu ekadhammassa, sabbeva vasamanvaguu''ti.``Cittena niiyati loko, cittena parikassati; Cittassa ekadhammassa, sabbeva vasamanvaguu''ti.S.I.39, Cittasutta.m

      By what then is the world led. By what then is the world dragged out. Of what having Dhamma only are all things then under control? The world is led by the mind. The world is dragged out by the mind. When the mind has Dhamma only, then all things are under control.

      With Metta
      Phrakaset Yannavijjo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18 6:36 AM
        Venerable Phra Kaset,
        Op 18-jun-2010, om 1:27 heeft Phra Kaset het volgende geschreven:

        > Kenassu niiyati loko, kenassu parikassati; Kissassu ekadhammassa,
        > sabbeva vasamanvaguu''ti.``Cittena niiyati loko, cittena
        > parikassati; Cittassa ekadhammassa, sabbeva vasamanvaguu''ti.S.I.
        > 39, Cittasutta.m
        >
        > By what then is the world led. By what then is the world dragged
        > out. Of what having Dhamma only are all things then under control?
        > The world is led by the mind. The world is dragged out by the mind.
        > When the mind has Dhamma only, then all things are under control.
        -------
        N: the word dhamma has many meanings. It can also stand for reality.
        Sometimes it is translated as 'thing'.
        Ven. Bodhi (The Connected Discourses, I, 7, 62, Citta) translates it
        as 'thing':
        <The world is led around by mind;
        By mind it is dragged here and there.
        Mind is the one thing that has
        All under control.>

        Instead of 'thing' I am personally inclined to 'reality'.
        Ven. Bodhi adds from the commentary:<Those who come under the control
        of the mind are subjected to total obsession.The sutta speaks of
        those who have not fully understood reality. But those who have fully
        understood the aggregates and abandoned the defilements do not come
        under control of the mind;rather, it is the mind that comes under
        their control.>

        With respect,