Re: [Pali] Re: Abhidhamma Series, no 18. Rebirth in different planes of existence. (part 1)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2010
      Venerable Bhante,
      Op 10-jun-2010, om 19:57 heeft sakyaputtiyo_samana het volgende
      geschreven:

      > I just wanted to remind you of the 20th type of rebirth linking.
      > THis occurs but without any rebirth linking consciousness. I am
      > sure you know about this very well.
      ---------
      N: Thank you. This is rebirth in the asa~n~nasatta plane. For those
      who are not familiar with this: those who cultivate ruupajhaana and
      see the disadvantage of naama may be reborn in a plane where there is
      only ruupa, not naama. Thus here is not a rebirth-consciousness, only
      ruupa-pa.tisandhi.
      Bhante, I am always considering how many details I shall mention.
      This series is more a general intro for those who are not so familiar
      with the Abhidhamma and I am careful not to give too many details and
      classifications. I give this matter much thought. But I am always
      open to suggestions. It is hard to find a balance. Those who want
      more details could read my books: Abhidhamma in Daily life, as well
      as Cetasikas and The Buddha's Teaching on Physical Phenomena.
      To be read and copied on Zolag web.
      with respect,

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 16, 2010
        Dear Nina and friends,

        I agree with Nina. Our focus on this list is Pali and the Nikayas (as in the Sutta Pitaka). However, I believe we should have a "fuller canonical" appreciation of Tipitaka, hence I requested you for a general introduction to Abhidhamma. We may do something similar for the Vinaya in the future. However, I think we should not lose sight of our focus on Pali and the Nikayas. So, an in-depth analysis of the Abhidhamma or Vinaya is probably too much for us now. Just like we occasionally touch on language, history, various Buddhist cultures and schools of thoughts, these discussions help us to think outside the box, but we do not advance too far. For all these topics, members can still share and contribute freely, and recommend suitable reference materials, etc., but should avoid venturing too far. Also, please refrain from obvious "commercial-style" promotions or advertisements or aggressive marketing.

        Nina, still, please provide assistance to questions from members as you see fit. I understand you are also active on other forums. You may like to suggest something suitable too when adequate. Thank you.