Re: AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (14/14)

    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
      Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

      thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

      Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

      I will simply put everything together:

      dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
      "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

      uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
      such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

      hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
      for the significance and essence of the meaning

      bya~njananti
      "bya~njana.m"

      vuccati
      is called

      * Paraphrasing ...

      "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

      I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010