Re: [Pali] AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (14/14)

    Message 1 of 97 , May 31 7:42 AM
      Thank you very much.
      Op 30-mei-2010, om 17:00 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven
      > Sunikkhittassa, bhikkhave, padabya~njanassa atthopi sunayo hoti.
      > of correctly arranged / monks / of letter of word / meaning-too /
      > correctly inferred / is
      > O monks, when the letter of word (is) correctly arranged, the
      > meaning is accurately interpretated too.
      -------
      N: Do you like: letter of the text?

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.