[Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [31/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , May 11, 2010
      thank you very much.
      -----------
      [31/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables
      ----------
      192. saaya.m, evening; at the evening

      "Ath'assa saayam pi punadivase pi madhurabhatta.m pacitvaa
      adaasi." [DhA.i,234]

      YP: "Now, in this evening too, on the following day (tomorrow) too,
      cook and give sweet food."
      YP: assa saaya.m = in the evening of this (day).
      ----------

      N: After I have cooked sweet food in the evening and also on the
      following day, I offered it.

      ----------

      193. saahu, same as saadhu

      "Appasmim pi saahu daana.m, api ca saddhaaya pi saahu daana.m." [S.i,21]

      Blessed is the gift from a scanty store; and it is so if given with a
      believing heart.

      ---------

      N: Blessed is the gift from a scanty store; and also if given with
      confidence.

      --------

      194. su, is a particle of interrogation; often seen added to
      interrogative pronouns

      "Eva.m su te Bhagavanto sa`ngamma samaagamma unnaadino...
      vihari.msu?" [D.iii,54]

      Did those Exalted Ones spend their time, like these, making a great
      noise in garrulous groups?

      ------

      N: Did those Exalted Ones spend their time thus, when they met and
      assembled, talking with loud voices...?

      ----------

      197. suve, sve, tomorrow

      (a) "Ya~n ca vi~n~nuu pasa.msanti anuvicca suve suve...
      Nekkha.m Jambonadass'eva ko ta.m ninditu.m arahati?" [Dhp.v.229,230]

      If men of intelligence praise someone from day to day, who would
      venture to find fault with such a man, any more than with a coin made
      of gold of the Jambuu river?

      -------

      N: Ven. Narada�s translation: The intelligent examining day by day
      praise him...Who deigns to blame him who is like refined gold?

      ---------

      200. hambho, is a vocative particle expressing surprise or contempt

      "Hambho purisa, idaani'si ki~ncaa pi ma.m viraddho, a.t.tha pana
      mahaaniraye aviraddho yev'aasii ti." [Kuru`ngamiga-Jaataka]

      Heigh man, though you have missed me now, you will not missed the
      eight great hells.

      -------

      N: (just spelling): you will not miss

      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.