The New Pali Course Part III [31/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , May 9, 2010
      [31/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables

      191. saama.m, oneself

      "Idam me, bhante, nava.m dussayuga.m Bhagavanta.m uddissa saama.m kanta.m, saama.m vaayita.m." [M.iii,253]

      Venerable Sir, this new pair of clothes is woven by myself for the Exalted One, with the threads spun with my own hands.

      192. saaya.m, evening; at the evening

      "Ath'assa saayam pi punadivase pi madhurabhatta.m pacitvaa adaasi." [DhA.i,234]

      YP: "Now, in this evening too, on the following day (tomorrow) too, cook and give sweet food."
      YP: assa saaya.m = in the evening of this (day).

      193. saahu, same as saadhu

      "Appasmim pi saahu daana.m, api ca saddhaaya pi saahu daana.m." [S.i,21]

      Blessed is the gift from a scanty store; and it is so if given with a believing heart.

      194. su, is a particle of interrogation; often seen added to interrogative pronouns

      "Eva.m su te Bhagavanto sa`ngamma samaagamma unnaadino... vihari.msu?" [D.iii,54]

      Did those Exalted Ones spend their time, like these, making a great noise in garrulous groups?

      195. su.t.thu, well

      "So tam pi su.t.thu upadhaaretvaa pasannamaanaso... magga.m pa.tipajji." [Com. on Chattavimaana]

      Having well reflected upon it and full of joy he proceeded on the road.

      196. suda.m, is a deictic particle

      "Tatra suda.m aayasmaa Kumaara-Kassapo Setavyaana.m viharati uttarena Setavya.m Si.msapaavane." [D.ii,317]

      There the venerable Kumaara-Kassapa dwelt to the north of Setavyaa, in the Si.msapaa-tree Grove.

      197. suve, sve, tomorrow

      (a) "Ya~n ca vi~n~nuu pasa.msanti anuvicca suve suve...
      Nekkha.m Jambonadass'eva ko ta.m ninditu.m arahati?" [Dhp.v.229,230]

      If men of intelligence praise someone from day to day, who would venture to find fault with such a man, any more than with a coin made of gold of the Jambuu river?

      (b) "Sve daani bhava.m Pokkharasaati sama.na.m Gotama.m dassanaaya upasa`nkamissati." [D.i,108]

      YP: "Tomorrow the honourable Pokkharasati will now (then) approach the samana Gotama in order to see (him)."

      198. seyyathaa pi, just as; like

      "Ca`nkamo lohitena phu.to ahosi seyyathaa pi gavaaghaatana.m." [V.M.182]

      (So.na's) walk was stained with blood as if it were a slaughter house.

      199. seyyathiida.m (=seyyathaa+ida.m), as follows

      "Satthaa tassa... dhamma.m desento aanupubbikatha.m kathesi, seyyathiida.m? Daanakatha.m, siilakatha.m, saggakatha.m, kaamaana.m aadiinava.m okaara.m sa`nkilesa.m." [DhA.i,6]

      The Teacher expounding the Law to him preached the graduated sermon, viz. talk about almsgiving, the moral precepts, description of heavens, the evil consequences and folly and defilement of sensual pleasures and so on.

      200. hambho, is a vocative particle expressing surprise or contempt

      "Hambho purisa, idaani'si ki~ncaa pi ma.m viraddho, a.t.tha pana mahaaniraye aviraddho yev'aasii ti." [Kuru`ngamiga-Jaataka]

      Heigh man, though you have missed me now, you will not missed the eight great hells.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30, 2010
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.