Abhidhamma Series no. 12. Feelings (Part 2).

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010

      no. 12. Feelings (Part 2).

      Domanassa, unhappy feeling, arises only with cittas of the jaati
      which is akusala; it always arises with dosa-muula-citta, citta
      rooted in aversion, it does not arise with lobha-muula-citta, citta
      rooted in attachment, nor with moha-muula-citta, citta rooted in
      ignorance.
      When we see someone else suffer, we have compassion and want to
      help him. However, kusala cittas and akusala cittas arise closely one
      after the other. We may be sad because of someone else�s suffering
      and then akusala citta rooted in dosa, aversion, arises. At such a
      moment there is no compassion, but we may not notice this.
      Upekkhaa, indifferent feeling, is different from somanassa and from
      domanassa; it is neither happy nor unhappy. Upekkhaa can arise with
      cittas of all four jaatis, but it does not arise with every citta.
      Indifferent feeling can accompany lobha-muula-citta.When we walk or
      when we get hold of different things we use in our daily life, such
      as a pen or a book, there is bound to be clinging even when we do not
      feel particularly glad. We cling to life and we want to go on living
      and receiving sense-impressions.
      Seeing, hearing, smelling and tasting which are vipaakacittas
      experiencing a pleasant or unpleasant object, are always accompanied
      by indifferent feeling. Often it is not known whether the object
      experienced by these cittas was pleasant or unpleasant, they fall
      away immediately. When a pleasant or unpleasant tangible ob- ject is
      experienced through the bodysense, the body-consciousness, which is
      vipaakacitta, is not accompanied by indifferent feeling but by
      pleasant bodily feeling or by painful bodily feeling. The impact of
      tangible object on the bodysense is more intense than the impact of
      the other sense objects on the corresponding senses.
      Pleasant bodily feeling and painful bodily feeling are naama. We can
      call them 'bodily feeling' because they are conditioned by impact on
      the bodysense. When, for example, temperature which is just the right
      amount of heat or cold impinges on the bodysernse the body-
      consciousness which experiences it is accompanied by pleasant bodiIy
      feeling. Body-consciousness is vipaakacitta and in this case kusala
      vipaakacitta. When it experiences a pleasant object, it is the result
      of kusala kamma, a wholesome deed, and when it experiences an
      unpleasant object, it is the result of akusala kamma, an unwholesome
      deed.
      We attach great importance to feeling, we let ourselves be carried away
      by the feelings which arise on account of pleasant or unpleasant ob
      jects we
      experience through the senses. The Buddha classified feeling as a
      separate khandha because people cling very much to feeling. We are
      enslaved to our feelings, but they are only realities which arise
      because of the appropriate conditions and do not last.