Re: [Pali] Re: Pali Skype Group

  • Магуба
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2010
      Hi, Gunar and Lennart!

      I think that a revived colloquial Pali could be used at least for discussing Dhamma topics as has been done in the past. Someone has told me that Lamaist monks use for such purpose Old Tibetan which is quite different from the spoken language. Looking at the abundant Pali literature from times when the language was not spoken already - not only the classical Commentaries but also the most recent works of scholar monks from past two centuries - one is left with the impression that these authors could speak Pali fluently if needed.
      There is ashrams in India where people are trained to talk Sanskrit without any other language medium. It would be interesting if some similar experiments has been made in Theravada Buddhist countries, but I am not aware of such projects. If someone knows something about that, please, let me know - I would be interested.

      With metta,
      Ardavarz