Simon Hewavitarne Bequest Series

  • Tomoyuki Kono
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
      Dear all,

      I am relatively new to this list. Could anyone advise me on how I
      might go about getting hold of a hard copy of the Simon Hewavitarne
      Bequest Series? In particular, I am interested in getting hold of the
      Petavatthu-aṭṭhakathā (Paramatthadīpanī).

      Given the date of publication, it should be out of copyright, but I
      don't suppose it has been scanned or digitised. I'm assuming (or
      rather hoping) that the series has been reprinted recently...

      Any tips would be appreciated.

      Best wishes,
      Tomo
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
        Dear Tomo,
        Op 27-apr-2010, om 16:15 heeft Tomoyuki Kono het volgende geschreven:

        > In particular, I am interested in getting hold of the
        > Petavatthu-aṭṭhakathā (Paramatthadīpanī).
        -----
        N: Ypu may like to see the English translation by Horner. Minor
        Anthologies, IV, Vimaanavatthu. Stories of the Mansions and
        Petavatthu, stories of the Departed.
        The Pali you could get on line.

      • Lennart Lopin
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
          Hi Tomo,

          I know of a group of Sri Lankan Buddhists who are trying to work out a deal
          with Google to actually get these and other old Sinhalese Buddhist texts
          scanned and digitized. If you like more on their efforts, drop me an email.

          Besides that, the only thing you can really do is look for these books at
          online bookstores like

          Redins Antiquariat
          redins.se
          http://www.redins.se/indo.html

          But as Nina mentioned, if you are just looking for no particular Pali
          edition and just the text then www.tipitaka.org will have what you need.
          Here the direct link:
          http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0507a.att0.xml

          much metta,

          Lennart

        • Dhammadarsa
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
            Hi All

            I have had some success in finding post copyright material scanned as pdf's
            by searching a keyword+*+.pdf, e.g. you could try Hewavitarne*.pdf.

            Kind Regards

            <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
            Intelligence

            Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
            Buddhist Monk

            Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
            Wang Noi
            Ayuthaya
            Thailand

            <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

            mobile:

            +66850941669

            <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
            invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

            <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en> Want
            a signature like this?

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2010
              Dear Nina and Lennart,

              Thank you for your prompt responses.

              It is the Pali text of Pv-a that I'm after, not Pv. I have access to
              Hardy's PTS edition (now out of print) and the Burmese Chaṭṭha
              Saṅgāyana e-text, and am trying to get hold of the Simon Hewavitarne
              Bequest edition so that I can collate variants.

              It looks like I'm going to have to be patient with this one. When I
              eventually manage to find it and collate the text, I will produce an
              electronic version and make it available. It's a relatively minor
              text, and an aṭṭhakathā at that, so I can't leave it to the
              initiatives of others.

              Thanks
              Tomo

              On 27 Apr 2010, at 19:53, Lennart Lopin wrote:

              > Hi Tomo,
              >
              > I know of a group of Sri Lankan Buddhists who are trying to work out
              > a deal
              > with Google to actually get these and other old Sinhalese Buddhist
              > texts
              > scanned and digitized. If you like more on their efforts, drop me an
              > email.
              >
              > Besides that, the only thing you can really do is look for these
              > books at
              > online bookstores like
              >
              > Redins Antiquariat
              > redins.se
              > http://www.redins.se/indo.html
              >
              > But as Nina mentioned, if you are just looking for no particular Pali
              > edition and just the text then www.tipitaka.org will have what you
              > need.
              > Here the direct link:
              > http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0507a.att0.xml
              >
              > much metta,
              >
              > Lennart

            • Dhammadarsa

                I have had some success in finding post copyright material scanned as pdf's
                by searching a keyword+*+.pdf, e.g. you could try Hewavitarne*.pdf.

                Kind Regards

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> Integrating Emotion and Intellect =
                Intelligence

                Dhammadarsa [Darsa] Bhikkhu
                Buddhist Monk

                Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University
                Wang Noi
                Ayuthaya
                Thailand

                <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa> www.vicnet.net.au/~dhammadarsa

                mobile:

                +66850941669

                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412
                <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=210453914412&src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                > &src=client_sig_212_1_card_join&
                invite=1&lang=en> Always have my latest info

                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig
                <http://www.plaxo.com/signature?src=client_sig_212_1_card_sig&lang=en>
                &lang=en> Want
                a signature like this?

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2010
                  Dear Lennart,

                  Thanks for the usefukl information. It's time that the SHB texts be
                  digitalized. The DPPN
                  often refers to it, and it is frustrating when we are unable to locate the
                  citations when we
                  dfo not have the SHB serries, Very often I need to do a search or look for
                  the reference
                  by turning each page till I find what I need.

                  Do keep me informed of this development.

                  Thanks again Lennart,

                  With metta,

                  Piya

                  On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Lennart Lopin <novalis78@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tomo,
                  >
                  > I know of a group of Sri Lankan Buddhists who are trying to work out a deal
                  > with Google to actually get these and other old Sinhalese Buddhist texts
                  > scanned and digitized. If you like more on their efforts, drop me an email.
                  >
                  > Besides that, the only thing you can really do is look for these books at
                  > online bookstores like
                  >
                  > Redins Antiquariat
                  > redins.se
                  > http://www.redins.se/indo.html
                  >
                  > But as Nina mentioned, if you are just looking for no particular Pali
                  > edition and just the text then www.tipitaka.org will have what you need.
                  > Here the direct link:
                  > http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0507a.att0.xml
                  >
                  > much metta,
                  >
                  > Lennart

                  The Minding Centre
                  Singapore 650644
                  hpl: 8211 0879
                  Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

                • Lennart Lopin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 28, 2010
                    Hi Piya,

                    Yes, I will def. let this list know about their progress...the last I have
                    heard is that they are going to either get the Sri Lankan government or some
                    publishers on the boat as the copyright of many of these old texts is quite
                    unclear.

                    much metta,

                    Lennart

                    On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Lennart,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the usefukl information. It's time that the SHB texts be
                    > digitalized. The DPPN
                    > often refers to it, and it is frustrating when we are unable to locate the
                    > citations when we
                    > dfo not have the SHB serries, Very often I need to do a search or look for
                    > the reference
                    > by turning each page till I find what I need.
                    >
                    > Do keep me informed of this development.
                    >
                    > Thanks again Lennart,
                    >
                    > With metta,
                    >
                    > Piya
                    >

                    > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:53 AM, Lennart Lopin <novalis78@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi Tomo,
                    > >
                    > > I know of a group of Sri Lankan Buddhists who are trying to work out a
                    > deal
                    > > with Google to actually get these and other old Sinhalese Buddhist texts
                    > > scanned and digitized. If you like more on their efforts, drop me an
                    > email.
                    > >
                    > > Besides that, the only thing you can really do is look for these books at
                    > > online bookstores like
                    > >
                    > > Redins Antiquariat
                    > > redins.se
                    > > http://www.redins.se/indo.html
                    > >
                    > > But as Nina mentioned, if you are just looking for no particular Pali
                    > > edition and just the text then www.tipitaka.org will have what you need.
                    > > Here the direct link:
                    > > http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0507a.att0.xml
                    > >
                    > > much metta,