Re: [Pali] Re: vant vs vantu

  • Jim Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2010
      Hi Jayarava,

      In my first response, I explained the "u" of "vantu" and "mantu" as an
      anubandha or indicatory letter. After some further digging I now think
      this is not right. It was an assumption based on the Sanskrit
      counterparts "vatup" and "matup" for Pali "vantu" and "mantu" plus the
      fact that the "u" is not seen in the declensional paradigms. For
      example, in the locative singular form one would expect a
      "bhagavantusmi.m" instead of "bhagavantasmi.m" with the stem
      "bhagavantu". Well, I just found a rule in the Saddaniiti which states
      that the "u" of "ntu" is changed to "a" before some of the
      declensional vibhattis or case endings -- so bhagavantu + smi.m >
      bhagavanta + smi.m > bhagavantasmi.m. It's not clear why the
      traditional grammarians use "vantu" instead of "vanta" in the first
      place and then having to add another rule just to change the "u" to
      "a".

      Best wishes,
      Jim

      > Further to my question... Actually Warder does deal with this under
      primary derivatives starting on pg.251. The -u presumably
      distinguishes the mant/vant taddhita suffixes from the kita
      present-participle in -nt.