The New Pali Course Part III [29/120]

    Message 1 of 75 , Apr 11, 2010
      [29/120]

      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter VII Definition of the Indeclinables

      173. ve (is an affirmative), truly; indeed

      "Ta.m ve pasahati Maaro
      Vaato rukkha.m va dubbala.m." [Dhp.v.7]

      Him verily doth Maara overcome as the wind a weak tree.

      174. saki.m, once
      sakid eva, once only

      (a) "Raajaano naama ca.n.daa, saki.m kuddhaa hattha-paadaadichedanena bahum pi anattha.m karonti." [DhA.ii,44]

      YP: hattha-paadaadichedana = hattha-paada-adi-chedana
      YP: "The princes known as Candas, once angry, and cause much misery by cutting off hands and feet."

      (b) "Idha bhikkhave bhikkhu ti.n.na.m sa.myojanaana.m parikkhayaa... sakid eva ima.m loka.m aagantvaa dukkhass'anta.m karoti." [A.ii,238]

      Herein a monk, by utter destruction of the three fetters, coming back to this world only once, makes an end of Ill.

      175. sakkaa, possible; be able

      "Sakkaa nu kho, bhante, evam eva.m di.t.the'va dhamme sandi.t.thika.m saama~n~na-phala.m pa~n~napetun-ti?" [D.i,51]

      Is it possible, Sir, to declare to me any such immediate fruit, visible in this very world, of the life of a recluse?

      176. sakkhi, face to face with; oneself

      "Ta.m me ida.m, bhante, sakkhi di.t.tha.m." [D.ii,271]

      I myself, Lord, have seen this.

      See also the example under yaava (no.160).

      177. sace, if

      "Sace ayyaa ima.m temaasa.m idha vasissanti." [DhA.i,290]

      YP: "If the gentlemen will stay here this three months."

      178. sajju, instantly; speedily

      "Na hi papa.m kata.m kamma.m
      Sajju khiira.m va muccati." [Dhp.v.71]

      Verily an evil deed committed does not immediately bear fruit as milk curdles not at once.

      179. satata.m, continually; always

      "Rattindiva.m satata.m appamatto
      Sabbaa disaa pharate appama~n~na.m." [SN.v.507]

      "Zealous by night and day
      Breed limitless goodwill
      Embracing all the worlds." [B.T.p.119]

      180. sanika.m, slowly; gently

      "Atha na.m kumbhi.m oropetvaa ubbhinditvaa mukha.m vivaritvaa sanika.m nillokema." [D.ii,333]

      Then we should take down the jar, unbind and open the mouth, and slowly (or carefully) observe it.

      181. samantaa, on all sides; all around

      "Daavaggi... tassa padesassa samantaa so.lasa-kariisa-matta.t.thaana.m paapu.ni." [Va.t.taka-Jaataka]

      The forest-fire came all around the place leaving only 16 acres of land.

      182. samita.m, continuously

      "Carato ca me ti.t.thato ca suttassa ca jaagarassa ca satata.m samita.m ~naa.nadassana.m paccupa.t.thita.m." [M.i,93]

      Perfect knowledge is always and continuously present in me whether I am walking, standing, sleeping or awake.

      183. sampati, just now

      "Sampati-jaato, Bodhisatto samehi paadehi pati.t.thahitvaa uttaarabhimukho sattapadaviitihaarena gacchati." [D.ii,15]

      The Bodhisatta, just born, stands firm on both feet and, with his face to the north, takes seven strides.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv

      (to be continued...)
      Message 75 of 75 , May 30 7:19 AM
        Dear Jim,

        thank you for your explanation. Yes, I am aware of your good work on Kaccaayana. I remember to have mentioned that there are a couple of other Kaccaayana projects going on at the same time. This will surely make the ancient grammar a well research subject, and probably preferred over Saddaniiti and Moggallaana for years to come.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jim Anderson wrote:

        The disruption is due to my work on the Kaccaayana project and not having the time to work on the Saddaniiti project at the same time.