Re: [Pali] Q. Abhidhamma Series, no 7. Kamma and Result.

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
      Dear Ardavarz and Richard,
      Thanks for your contribution.
      Op 10-apr-2010, om 22:09 heeft Ardavarz het volgende geschreven:

      > I just would like to share a thought that occurs to me - could we
      > translate anatta in a sense with "inanimate"?
      > Etymologically it is more or less equivalent - both anima in Latin
      > and atta in Pali mean "soul", but I am not fully aware of all
      > possible connotations of the word "inanimate" in English. Still I
      > think if one say: "The psyche (or mind) is inanimate", the shock
      > from this seemingly paradoxical (for the common sense) statement
      > could be quite insightful.
      -------
      N: Ardavarz, You are probably thinking of the Pali nijjhiiva,
      literally: no life. I understand the difficulty to find an English
      equivalent.
      It is actually absence of a living being.
      I quote from my "Meaning of dhamma: < The following meaning of dhamma
      explained in the Dhammapada-Atthakata, is dhamma as an entity without
      a living soul (nissatta, nijjiva):
      <"Tasmi.m khopana samaye dhammaa honti, khandhaa hontii"ti (dha. sa.
      121)
      Then, at that time dhammas occur, khandhas occur.

      aya.mnissattadhammo naama, nijjiivadhammotipi eso eva.
      this is dhamma without living being (non-substantial), it is also
      merely dhamma without life.
      Tesu imasmi.m .thaane nissattanijjiivadhammo adhippeto.
      As to these, dhamma devoid of a living soul is meant in this case. >

      -------
      The word inanimate can be used for ruupa, materiality. We also take
      ruupa for self, but also ruupa is anattaa.