Re: [Pali] Q. Abhidhamma Series, no 7. Kamma and Result.

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 10, 2010
      Dear Bryan,
      Op 9-apr-2010, om 13:25 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

      > Or, in a practical, conventional sense, one can follow the path,
      > but in an ultimate sense, there is no atta at all.
      -------
      N: Just as an addition: one may think of oneself as following a Path
      and then one is in the world of conventional truth, sammutti sacca.
      It is a way of thinking. Whereas, in the ultimate sense, only
      specific cetasikas, the Path-factors, arise with the citta and in
      that way the Path is developing, no one develops it. As I see it, the
      ultimate sense is practical, effective.

    • Ardavarz
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 10, 2010

        I just would like to share a thought that occurs to me - could we translate anatta in a sense with "inanimate"?
        Etymologically it is more or less equivalent - both anima in Latin and atta in Pali mean "soul", but I am not fully aware of all possible connotations of the word "inanimate" in English. Still I think if one say: "The psyche (or mind) is inanimate", the shock from this seemingly paradoxical (for the common sense) statement could be quite insightful.

        Ardavarz

        Op 9-apr-2010, om 13:25 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

        > Or, in a practical, conventional sense, one can follow the path,

        > but in an ultimate sense, there is no atta at all.

        -------

        N: Just as an addition: one may think of oneself as following a Path

        and then one is in the world of conventional truth, sammutti sacca.

        It is a way of thinking. Whereas, in the ultimate sense, only

        specific cetasikas, the Path-factors, arise with the citta and in

        that way the Path is developing, no one develops it. As I see it, the

        ultimate sense is practical, effective.

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10, 2010
          Thanks Nina, Bryan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
            Dear Ardavarz and Richard,
            Thanks for your contribution.
            Op 10-apr-2010, om 22:09 heeft Ardavarz het volgende geschreven:

            > I just would like to share a thought that occurs to me - could we
            > translate anatta in a sense with "inanimate"?
            > Etymologically it is more or less equivalent - both anima in Latin
            > and atta in Pali mean "soul", but I am not fully aware of all
            > possible connotations of the word "inanimate" in English. Still I
            > think if one say: "The psyche (or mind) is inanimate", the shock
            > from this seemingly paradoxical (for the common sense) statement
            > could be quite insightful.
            -------
            N: Ardavarz, You are probably thinking of the Pali nijjhiiva,
            literally: no life. I understand the difficulty to find an English
            equivalent.
            It is actually absence of a living being.
            I quote from my "Meaning of dhamma: < The following meaning of dhamma
            explained in the Dhammapada-Atthakata, is dhamma as an entity without
            a living soul (nissatta, nijjiva):
            <"Tasmi.m khopana samaye dhammaa honti, khandhaa hontii"ti (dha. sa.
            121)
            Then, at that time dhammas occur, khandhas occur.

            aya.mnissattadhammo naama, nijjiivadhammotipi eso eva.
            this is dhamma without living being (non-substantial), it is also
            merely dhamma without life.
            Tesu imasmi.m .thaane nissattanijjiivadhammo adhippeto.
            As to these, dhamma devoid of a living soul is meant in this case. >

            -------
            The word inanimate can be used for ruupa, materiality. We also take
            ruupa for self, but also ruupa is anattaa.