Re: [Pali] Re: AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (12/14)

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 97 , Apr 2, 2010
      Hi Jim,

      > An example of the use of an accusative absolute is found in the following
      > passage:
      >
      > vandite ca panaayasmataa mahaakassapena tehi ca pa~ncahi
      > bhikkhusatehi sayameva bhagavato citako pajjali. --- D II 164
      >
      > And while (the feet of the Blessed One were) being venerated, moreover, by
      > the Venerable Mahaakassapa and the five hundred monks, the funeral pyre of
      > the Blessed one burst into flames just by itself.
      >
      > "vandite" is in the accusative plural and should be read with "bhagavato
      > paade" from the previous sentence.

      Is that something different than the "locativus absolutus". The "vandite"
      looks to me like a classical locativus absolutus. But yes, the setup with
      akusalam pahiinam semantically seems to behave very similar.

      Some more on the locativus absolutus:
      *http://tinyurl.com/ycgutc3*

      A quick search brought up this little email:
      http://www.ling.upenn.edu/sassn/issues/512/node12.html

      this one is quite interesting too, however does not really have to do too
      much with our discussion:
      *http://tinyurl.com/yl6at4x*
      *
      *
      *Never heard of the accusative absolute before, but Wikipedia got a great
      example:*
      *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accusative_absolute*

      metta,

      Lennart

      Best,

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.