Re: [Pali] Re: Q. Abhidhamma Series, no 6. Citta and Cetasikas.

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
      Dear Thomas,
      Op 2-apr-2010, om 6:32 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:

      > What are the differences between mana, cita, and vinnana? They seem
      > similar in meaning: mental, mind, and consciousness, particularly
      > mana and cita.
      ------
      N:�Kindred Sayings� (IV, 85, Loko: the world).

      We read in the �Kindred Sayings� (II, Nidaana-sa.myutta, Ch VII,
      61:<Ya.m ca kho eta.m bhikkhave vuccati citta.m iti pi mano iti pi
      vi~n~na.m iti pi...
      Yet this, monks, what we call indeed thought (citta), mind,
      consciousness (by this the untaught manyfolk are not able to feel
      repelled)...>

      The words citta, mano and vi~n~naa.na are the same in meaning, they
      are the paramattha dhamma that is citta, consciousness. However, in
      different contexts there is a differentiation of terms. The aggregate
      of consciousness is called vi~n~naa.nakkhandha, and it includes all
      cittas. For seeing-consciousness, the word cakkhuvi~n~naa.na is used.

      Mano is used for the citta which is the mind-door and also in
      manaayatana and in manodhaatu.

      As to the mind-door, cittas which experience objects through the
      senses and the mind-door arise in processes: the eye-door process,
      the other sense-door processes and the mind-door process. In between
      these processes bhavangacittas (life-continuum) arise and fall away,
      and these do not experience an object through one of the six doors.
      Their function is preserving the continuity in the life of an
      individual. The last bhavangacitta arising before the mind-door
      process begins is the mind-door. The mind-door is the means through
      which citta experiences an object in that process.

      *******