Sakaaya Niruttiyaa, Pali, Sanskrit, Brahmi Script, Indus Valley Script

  • sakya umanathan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2002
      Namo Buddha

      I am glad to know that many of you are doing research
      on Pali languages. I am reading and doing some
      research on Pali with interest to pursue further
      studies on Pali. Presently I am learning Pali and see
      the linkages between Pali and Tamil (my
      native/residential language). There are many
      similarities between the Two. Tamil does not belong to
      Indo-European languages. It is an independent language
      and considers being ancient language among the
      Dravidian languages. One of the Tamil scholar from Sri
      Lanka claims that ancient Prakrit was the proto-Tamil.
      Prakit was the northern form of Tamil.

      There is another Tamil and Pali Scholar Pandit Iyothi
      Thass (end of 19th century) said that Pali was
      ancestor of both Tamil and Sanskrit. Both Sanskrit
      (Indo-Aryan) as well as Tamil (Dravidian) has root in
      Pali. Brahmi scripts were developed on basis of Indus
      scripts in ancient days. After that Indo-European
      scripts, Dravidian scripts as well as many Asian
      scripts developed on the basis that.

      Today all Indian languages traces root in Pali. But we
      need to see the relationship of Pali and the
      Austric-languages (the ancestors of all Asiatic
      languages). In India, we have Aryan, Dravidian and
      Austric language families (mainly). The Austric
      languages are Tribal languages in India. These tribals
      are defeated primitive communities who remained in
      forest areas for longer period. These groups follow
      the Samanic- culture. These languages are very similar
      to Pali language. This shows that these Tribes are not
      always tribes but they had civilized tradition in the
      ancient time and they were aware of Buddhist
      tradition. Many of these tribes live near the Magadh
      region (the present Bihar, Jargand, Chattisgar and
      some part of Utter Predesh). In general Pali has root
      in all languages in India.

      The Indo-European languages are mixture of Indian and
      European and Dravidians are mixture of Indian and
      Mediterranean languages. Before these languages came
      to India, Austric languages were wide spread all over
      India. Pali was the developed form of these ancient
      austric languages of India.

      Metta
      Sakya
      Bavatu sabba mangalam