AN2.2 Adhikara.na Vagga (12/14)

    Message 1 of 97 , Mar 21, 2010

      19. "Akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahatha. Sakkaa, bhikkhave, akusala.m pajahitu.m. No ceda.m, bhikkhave, sakkaa abhavissa akusala.m pajahitu.m, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti. Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, sakkaa akusala.m pajahitu.m tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti. Akusala~nca hida.m, bhikkhave, pahiina.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya sa.mvatteyya naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti. Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, akusala.m pahiina.m hitaaya sukhaaya sa.mvattati tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami â€" 'akusala.m , bhikkhave, pajahathaa'"ti.

      "Kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavetha. Sakkaa, bhikkhave, kusala.m bhaavetu.m. No ceda.m, bhikkhave, sakkaa abhavissa kusala.m bhaavetu.m, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti. Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, sakkaa kusala.m bhaavetu.m tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti. Kusala~nca hida.m, bhikkhave, bhaavita.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya sa.mvatteyya, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti. Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, kusala.m bhaavita.m hitaaya sukhaaya sa.mvattati tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'"ti.

      "Akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahatha.
      unwholesome conduct / monks / abandon
      "O monks, abandon unwholesome conduct.

      akusala (n) unwholesome conduct.

      Sakkaa, bhikkhave, akusala.m pajahitu.m.
      possibilities / monks / unwholesome conduct / to abandon
      There are possibilities, O monks, to abandon unwholesome conduct.

      sakka (adj) possible.

      No ceda.m, bhikkhave, sakkaa abhavissa akusala.m pajahitu.m, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti.
      no / if-now / monks / possibilities / would be / unwholesome conduct / to abandon / not-I / thus / would say / unwholesome conduct / monks / abandon
      O monks, if there is now no possibility to abandon unwholesome conduct, I would not say thus - 'O monks, abandon unwholesome conduct.'

      ceda.m = ce ida.m.
      ce (enclitic) if.
      abhavissa [3rd singular Conditional of bhavati]

      Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, sakkaa akusala.m pajahitu.m tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti.
      because / and / indeed / monks / possibilities / unwholesome conduct / to abandon / therefore-I / thus / say / unwholesome conduct / monks / abandon
      And, indeed, because there are possibilities to abandon unwholesome conduct, O monks, therefore I say thus - 'O monks, abandon unwholesome conduct.'

      Akusala~nca hida.m, bhikkhave, pahiina.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya sa.mvatteyya naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'akusala.m, bhikkhave, pajahathaa'ti.
      unwholesome conduct-and / for-now / monks / abandoned / to harm / to suffering / would lead to / not-I / thus / would say / unwholesome conduct / monks / abandon
      And (if) for now, O monks, abandoning unwholesome conduct would lead to harm, to suffering, I would not say thus - 'O monks, abandon unwholesome conduct.'

      hida.m = hi ida.m.
      pahiina (pp of pajahati) abandoned.
      ahita (n) harm.

      Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, akusala.m pahiina.m hitaaya sukhaaya sa.mvattati tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami â€" 'akusala.m , bhikkhave, pajahathaa'"ti.
      because / and / indeed / monks / unwholesome conduct / abandoned / to benefit / to bliss / leads to / therefore-I / thus / say - unwholesome conduct / monks / abandon
      And, indeed, because, O monks, abandoning unwholesome conduct leads to benefit, to bliss, therefore I say thus - 'O monks, abandon unwholesome conduct.'"

      hita (n) benefit.

      "Kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavetha.
      wholesome conduct / monks / cultivate
      "O monks, cultivate wholesome conduct.

      Sakkaa, bhikkhave, kusala.m bhaavetu.m.
      possibilities / monks / wholesome conduct / to cultivate
      There are possibilities, O monks, to cultivate wholesome conduct.

      No ceda.m, bhikkhave, sakkaa abhavissa kusala.m bhaavetu.m, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti.
      no / if-now / monks / possibilities / would be / wholesome conduct / to cultivate / not-I / thus / would say / wholesome conduct / monks / cultivate
      O monks, if there is now no possibility to cultivate wholesome conduct, I would not say thus - 'O monks, cultivate wholesome conduct.'

      Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, sakkaa kusala.m bhaavetu.m tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti.
      because / and / indeed / monks / possibilities / wholesome conduct / to cultivate / therefore-I / thus / say / wholesome conduct / monks / cultivate
      And, indeed, because there are possibilities to cultivate wholesome conduct, O monks, therefore I say thus - 'O monks, cultivate wholesome conduct.'

      Kusala~nca hida.m, bhikkhave, bhaavita.m ahitaaya dukkhaaya sa.mvatteyya, naaha.m eva.m vadeyya.m - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'ti.
      wholesome conduct-and / for-now / monks / cultivated / to harm / to suffering / would lead to / not-I / thus / would say / wholesome conduct / monks / cultivate
      And (if) for now, O monks, cultivating wholesome conduct would lead to harm, to suffering, I would not say thus - 'O monks, cultivate wholesome conduct.'

      Yasmaa ca kho, bhikkhave, kusala.m bhaavita.m hitaaya sukhaaya sa.mvattati tasmaaha.m eva.m vadaami - 'kusala.m, bhikkhave, bhaavethaa'"ti.
      because / and / indeed / monks / wholesome conduct / cultivated / to benefit / to bliss / leads to / therefore-I / thus / say - wholesome conduct / monks / cultivate
      And, indeed, because, O monks, cultivating wholesome conduct leads to benefit, to bliss, therefore I say thus - 'O monks, cultivate wholesome conduct.'"

      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 14, 2010
        Dear Nina, Jim and Bryan,

        thanks for your informed discussion. It is very interesting to note how the commentary uses bya~njana twice with different meanings, something I also noted to happen frequently in Sadd., a test of the intellect.

        Also thanks to Bryan for highlighting "padabya~njana" as "letters and words", or we may still be lost in translation.

        I will simply put everything together:

        dunnikkhitta~nca padabya~njananti
        "(and) incorrectly arranged letter(s) and/or word(s)"

        uppa.tipaa.tiyaa gahitapaa.lipadameva
        such a word of the text taken out of sequence/order

        hi atthassa bya~njanattaa
        for the significance and essence of the meaning

        bya~njananti
        "bya~njana.m"

        vuccati
        is called

        * Paraphrasing ...

        "dunnikkhitta.m padabya~njana.m" is such a word of the text taken out of sequence, for the significance and essence of the meaning is called "bya~njana.m".

        I still have trouble with the translation, but I wait for Yong Peng.