Re: [Pali] Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

  • Bankei
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 8, 2010
      On 8 March 2010 23:41, Ong Yong Peng <palismith@...> wrote:

      > Dear Ven. Pandita and Bankei,
      >
      > I agree. I am in fact interested in textual references from the Tipitaka,
      > not so much about personal opinions. I am not saying that personal views are
      > not welcomed, but supported by some references to the suttas is preferred.
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.

      Yong Peng

      I don't know of any textual references from the Pali Tipitaka, other than
      from the vinaya, that indicates gender bias in Buddhism. There is a belief
      that only men can become Buddha's, but I am not sure if this is from the
      Tipitaka or later commentaries.

      Your comment about textual references to the Tipitaka also poses another
      question (to which I have no answer).

      Is authentic Buddhism only that which can be found in the Tipitaka?

      Regards

      Bankei

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html