Re: Gender bias in Buddhism?

    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 8, 2010
      Bhante,

      what you just wrote only further confused me. I can accept any relevant comparison as part of the discussion, but not without reference to the Tipitaka.

      In addition, the use of the "military" in general, is not a good example. Are we referring to ancient Greek or modern American? The modern military, say American, has a very well-defined organisational structure, but the Buddhist Sangha is based on a loose structure.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, ashinpan wrote:

      > I agree. I am in fact interested in textual references from the Tipitaka, not so much about personal opinions. I am not saying that personal views are not welcomed, but supported by some references to the suttas is preferred.

      What I have said is not just a personal opinion. What I am trying to do is to form a hypothesis by comparing two organizations which are very different in nature and have very different functions, but which accept social barriers within themselves as a norm. My hunch is that if we understand one organization, that understanding will be helpful to understand the other.

      What I am doing at this stage is what they call "brainstorming"; I don't have even a hypothetical answer yet.
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 31, 2010
        Dear Bankei,

        thanks. I will have a read over the Easter break, and we can continue our discussion. Btw, is your name Asian? ;-)

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bankei wrote:

        Bhikkhu Analayo has a paper out titled "*The *Bahudhātuka-sutta* and its Parallels On Women’s Inabilities"* in the Journal of Buddhist Ethics, Vol 16, 2009

        http://www.buddhistethics.org/current.html